Poverty Is Not an Accident

Poverty Is Not an Accident
Nelson Mandela

Tuesday, January 25, 2005

good idea

You are reading http://livinginthehood.blogspot.com

Ma and I were talking last night about how the penal system creates multi-generational victimization, specifically of the poor.

I began describing my own ancestry. African American escaped slaves, Cherokees escaping the Trail of Tears and poor whites who escaped endentured servitude and debtors' prisons in Great Britain.

She suggested I write about it. Immediately, I realized I could write a multi-generational, historical novel, based on my own family. I've studied enough social history to know WHAT to research for each generation, even if I don't know a whole lot about specifics and details. As Ma pointed out, I know my family's mythology: the stories of relatives and the like. It adds believability because the stories are specific events, involving specific people.

My entire family is a history of working very hard to remain "off the grid" and out of the System.

The more I tell her about the corruption and abuse of the so-called "justice" system, the more indignant Ma becomes. She's had no exposure to the realities of being poor. And it occurs to me that this is probably true for the majority of book readers, too.

Ma also pointed out that previous novelists have created social change with their writings. It wasn't until someone wrote, in a mass medium, that the general population realized the extent of people's suffering and began to demand legislative changes.

Ma's worried that I'll be given jail time as part of my sentence. I explained it would be OK, as it would give me first-hand research for the story. I can write in the joint. There's a library, too. I may have access to internet on a limited basis, for all I know.

I expect, though, that I won't be locked up. The jails are totally overcrowded. Violent criminals are being released, all the time.

I expect I'll get community service and possibly a fine. I'll work hard to prevent a fine; I'm borrowing from Ma for this and she's paying off large debts. It'll take me forever to pay her back. So, a fine would only punish Ma, not me.

I can do community service at the community radio station.

Cops I've dealt with during the past, 5 years of my warrant have shown little interest in locking me up for such a petty misdemeanor. I think the ONLY reason I was taken into custody THIS time is that Porky bit someone. If I hadn't commited any offense, I'd have been released again and admonished again to "take care of it."

Of course, without Ma's help and economic priviledge, there's no WAY I could ever have come up with a $330.oo cash bond to satisfy the courts. That's why I've never taken care of it in the past.

And, living alone, I couldn't risk being locked up. Who'd take care of my animals and my property while I was gone?

I wrote Ma a detailed email, while she sat here and watched me last night. I gave her specific details on the operations of the house and all my user names, passwords and PIN numbers. So, she knows how to care for the plants and animals and how to operate my hinky washing machine and stuff now.

She's taking tomorrow morning off. She's going to court with me. I'm supposed to be there at 1:30pm. We'll walk, or take the trolley.

I'm taking nothing with me except my ID. If I'm locked up, I don't want to have to worry about any property.

Any money a prisoner has on them is applied to fines and to purchases at the commisary. For example, prisoners are issued: orange "scrub" type shirts and pants and rubber shower shoes, plus white tee shirts. But prisoners cannot use the exercise yard in shower shoes. And prisoners can't have shoes brought in from outside. All prisoners who want to use the exercise yard MUST BUY shoes from the commisary! It's all a McJail, concessions stand.

So, I won't be in the exercise yard, because I plan to boycott the commisary. They'll issue me bed linens, towels, the clothing I mentioned and basic toiletries.

The less I have, the less likely I can be coerced by other prisoners into making purchases for them, in exchange for their protection.

Nope, if I go to jail, I plan to just write, think and do research for this project.

If he demands jail time, I'll request they wait 'til Feb. 15, so I can complete the Homelessness Marathon broadcast.

If not, I have friends who will take up the slack. They've already been given instructions on how to carry out the broadcast.

I'm most worried about Porkchop, of course. If I'm locked up, how will Porky be freed, as I'm the legal owner? He gets out Feb. 1.

But, I'll figure it all out, somehow.

Today, I'm patching the parts of my cat/chicken structure with bits of chicken wire I found in someone's trash. I'll finish what laundry is out there, too.

It's a rainy, damp dark day. But, even as I write this, I see the sun coming through the clouds. So I shouldn't, I hope, freeze my butt off out there in an hour or so.

Taz is miserable without Porky to chew on and boss around.

I worry for Porky's sanity in that hell hole. I worry for his health, too. I heard a news report of an epidemic of parvo virus at our animal shelters. Porky was placed in a poop-smeared kennel in the transport van by animal control.

They could kill him with neglect.

And he's so nervous and traumatized, I don't know how he'll handle all the other dogs, yelling and acting out. It could drive him crazy and MAKE him violent!

I've told Ma that, when we bring him home, we should plan to be as quiet as possible for a week or so. No vacuum cleaners, circular saws, hammers.... nothing loud and startling. Except Taz, of course. I suspect she'll be very good medicine for him, anyway.

So, I'm going to have a snack now and then go out and cat proof my kennel.

There's no sense getting upset, worrying or stressing over my court appearance tomorrow. Whatever happens happens and I'm ready for it. I just hope I've prepared Ma enough so she can handle it if I'm locked up.

Beaten by a stalker, robbed, almost raped and now it's ME who might face jail time for it!

DAMN!

No comments: