Poverty Is Not an Accident

Poverty Is Not an Accident
Nelson Mandela

Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Porky day

You are reading http://livinginthehood.blogspot.com

It's almost 4 in the morning. I woke Ma at two, so she could start work on a special project for her job. She's typing away on her puter, in her bedroom. I can't sleep. I feel duty-bound to keep vigil, so she doesn't go back to sleep before she's done. It's going slowly. And she's cranky. So, I just keep feeding her Earl Grey tea, mixed with sugar free hot cocoa mix, with an occasional piece of Dove Christmas chocolate, to keep her caffeine levels up enough to keep her going.

I get Porkchop back from the pound today. The next door neighbor agreed to drive me out, and both of us back.

I had a dream, during Ma's and my brief sleep tonight. I was at the pound, holding Porky's leash. He LOOKED the same, but his temper was iffy. He wasn't the same. Something in the shelter had changed him. I was a little afraid of him. He seemed quite capable of attacking even ME, if startled. I was supposed to handle him, in a shelter full of people and other animals, while trying to sign papers and write a check.

I think I'll ask them not to bring Porky out until I've concluded my paper work and am on my way out.

He'll be hysterically happy to see me, I'm guessing. He'll probably be a little stunned and very hyper. I'll need both hands and my entire body to control him around other people.

Poor guy: he's been sleeping on cold, concrete floors, surrounded by frightened, angry dog noises, for ten days.

I've got to be ready for it.

Taz will be thrilled to have him home. She's been driving all of us crazy: Ma, me, the cats. She's had nobody to run and wrestle with. Porky's her favorite chew toy. My slippers, underwear and assorted decorations have paid the price of Porky's absence.

Poor Ma can't go to the toilet without a crotch inspection. And my old man cat, Mugwart, is going bald around the neck from so much chewing.

The chickens perch high on things, just to get away from Taz. I try to keep them seperated as often as possible. But, when they first go to sleep and first wake up, there's a small window when they're in the chicken yard with Taz.

I can barely wait to see the old bastard again.

Makes it easier to face my court date tomorrow, knowing I'll have reassembled my family before I go.

Ma's extremely busy at work...obviously...and won't have much time for household stuff. I'm doing most of her chores, now.

If I have to go to jail tomorrow, it's going to be very hard for Ma to care for all these critters and plants.

She gets her cash bond back tomorrow. They'll set my trial date, if I can't get the judge and prosecutor to dismiss the charges.

I don't know if I'll have to post bail for myself.

It's going to be a rough month...

No comments: