Poverty Is Not an Accident

Poverty Is Not an Accident
Nelson Mandela

Thursday, March 24, 2005

hello again

You are reading http://livinginthehood.blogspot.com

I can't explain why I haven't been writing. Oh, sure: there have been lots of distractions, other priorities, chores and projects. But there always are, and I never let it keep me from writing before.

I think it's a combination of factors. A couple of people -- one, in particular -- at KUNM read my blogs and I've let their abusiveness and bitterness silence me in certain areas. I don't want them to know what is going on in my life. Also, there's this huge elephant in the living room that I can't write about in any blogs with my name on them. I have a "dummy" name for a blog on the subject. But the subject affects most aspects of my life, and I find it difficult to ghettoize one facet of my experience. But it's not "my secret;" it's someone else's. So I can't integrate that factor into my regular writing, lest I expose that person.

Makes it kinda fractured, y'know?

Anyway, spring's here. For the first time since she died, I didn't plant something on my daughter's birthday on the Vernal Equinox. Felt kinda bad about it. Ma pointed out all the gardening I've already done: I've sewn wild flower seeds in the front yard, planted three cherry trees, made a bulb bed....

We're supposed to rent a rototiller this weekend. Ma took the weekend off. I'm supposed to pick it up after 3:30pm tomorrow and bring it back before 9am on Monday, for sixty bucks. That's nearly three days for the one-day price.

But I'm having difficulty, finding someone to help me pick it up and bring it back. I'm afraid I'll have to haul it home on my scooter trailer. I hauled home a ten-foot tetherball pole, with concrete attached, one day. I'm not afraid of the weight. But it's someone else's property, y'know?

Anyway, a couple of guy friends are talking about coming over this weekend to take a turn on the tiller. I've promised them steaks and baked taters for helping. Might even buy some beer.

We have a HUGE yard: plenty of room for the duck pond I'm digging, lots of vegies, and still have dog yard, chicken yard and human hang out.

I've ordered poultry from a hatchery. I'm getting Japanese silkies, my favorite bantam chickens. And I'm getting some ornamental, "oriental" chickens. Even ordered a beautiful rooster. And I'm getting frizzle chickens and mops. Ought to be quite a wild flock of birds.

Ari, my araconda, is laying green eggs, daily. Stubs had a bad infestation of poultry lice. They drove her so crazy, she lost weight and stopped laying. I finally examined her and found her literally crawling with thousands of the little bastards. So, I got out my boric acid and sprinkled it where they take dust bathes. A week later, she doesn't have a louse on her! And I ordered some diatomaceous earth which just arrived. That'll keep any cooties off my birds.

OH! I've ordered 2 ducklings! Just white, Pekin ducks: nothing fancy.

The poultry should arrive around April 22.

My health's tolerable, but not good. My right, front tooth is slowly falling out. It flaps and wiggles and pinches and itches and I can't stop fussing with it.

I'm thinking of learning a way to make myself some dentures, to hide the cosmetic damage. I may even make something for the molars, so I can chew again.

Dental care costs me twenty five dollars per visit. It's just too much money, with a mouth full of rotten teeth.

There's more. Obviously. I see I really need to recommit myself to my blogs. There's a lot more.

But, it's five thirty in the morning. It's warm enough I can pad around in sweats. The yard's full of rocks which must be gathered to keep them out of the tiller blades. I still have weeds to chop, so I can see the rocks....

With first light, I'll be out there, I'm thinking.

I'm sorry I let my loyal readers down, by not posting for about a month! That's the longest I've ever gone, not writing in this....

No comments: