Poverty Is Not an Accident

Poverty Is Not an Accident
Nelson Mandela

Thursday, April 26, 2007

Stigmatization

You are reading http://livinginthehood.blogspot.com

These are my replies to the Program Director of KUNM.

Marcos,
I realize you're very busy, with many facts and details which you must remember. So, I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt, and assuming you've forgotten I have PTSD.

"Paranoid" is one of many psychiatric terms which are frequently misused, in popular culture, as epithets. This furthers the stigmatization of, and discrimination against, people with physical disabilities that have been diagnosed as "psychiatric."

It is inappropriate for any supervisor to use psychiatric terminology in such a casual way with a subordinate, especially one who is challenged by psychiatric stigmatization, such as I.

Further, I wasn't being paranoid; I was asking for clarification.

I was also asking to be addressed with respect. Your reply indicates I can't trust you to do that, and I find it frustrating, frightening and discouraging.

Your reply was still unclear, and I still don't know why you've objected to my post to the ideas list.

http://www.antipsychiatry.org/stigma.htm
The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), is unlikely to help much, despite its aim of eliminating discrimination in employment against people with disabilities, including alleged psychiatric disabilities. As Jonas Robitscher, J.D., M.D., said in his book The Powers of Psychiatry prior to the enactment of the ADA: "The disclosure that one is or has been mentally ill can lead to rejection, and other reasons for the rejection can always be found. ... Forcing private employers to hire the disabled would raise issues of invasion of privacy and problems of enforcement. Stigmatization will continue to be a problem, and discrimination will continue to exist" (p. 241-242). In areas covered by the ADA, availing oneself of its protection will probably require large amounts of time spent in litigation and a lot of money paid in lawyer's fees, with uncertain results.

From: Rogi Riverstone
Sent: Thursday, April 19, 2007 10:43 PM>
Subject: RE: [KUNMIDEAS-L] kunm.org/psa/ page has> misinformation.> >
"Bring something like" what?> > I have no idea why you object to my post, nor do I> see> you offer any alternative remedies.> >

I suppose I must "obey" you, simply because you've> told me to, but I don't know: why, how. I'd> appreciate> a little respect, rather than demands of arbitrary> obedience.> > Is it because Dean doesn't work there anymore?> Because, if that's your objection, the information> should have been removed from the page very long> ago,> and was public record. I simply quoted a public> website. So, I see nothing untoward that I've done.> >

-----Original Message-----> > From: Gather ideas from KUNM volunteers> > [on Behalf Of Rogi Riverstone> > Sent: Wednesday, April 18, 2007 11:15 PM> >
Subject: [KUNMIDEAS-L] kunm.org/psa/ page has> > misinformation.> > > >

If you want more control over frequency and> > placement> > of your announcement, contact our Coordinator of> > Donor> > Relations, Dean Shelton: DeanShelton@kunm.org /> > 505-277-2163.> > > > Rogi Riverstone>

No comments: