Poverty Is Not an Accident

Poverty Is Not an Accident
Nelson Mandela

Friday, January 11, 2008

My work

You are reading http://livinginthehood.blogspot.com


The situation between us is very confusing to me. I'm very unclear on what my duties are.

When we talked initially, you'd said you wanted me to write tutorials on HTML. That changed to that pbb or whatever it's called, even though I really don't know that very well. But I began studying it, so I'd be ready when you needed me. In the chat meeting yesterday, you said your "html geek" had bailed on you. I didn't say anything in the meeting, but I sure didn't understand that one.

Then, you wanted me to write an Advent calendar, even though Advent had already begun. We'd already decided I'd be working for you, back in midNovember. That would have been a good time for me to have started working on Advent, to get several days ahead. Right in the middle of me writing for Advent, you wanted me to write a tutorial on something; I forget what, but I wrote it.

At the end of December, you said you wanted me to write on literature, beginning in January. So, on my own, I began researching online novels and libraries, criticism, etc. But in January, you said you now want me to write frugal living articles.

I must bring up another point. Back in late November, you mentioned you want me to work 20 hrs. per week. That's $3.12 per hour. I assumed it was a slip of the tongue, but I know I easily put in 20 hrs. on the Advent pieces, and you would have liked to have me write 25 days' worth. I believe I wrote close to 10 articles last month, definately more than 5.

Yesterday, I waited all day for you to assign me something. As agreed, I contacted you by IM in the morning. You told me to reconnect after 12:30. When I did, you said I was early and said I should contact you after 3pm. When I did, you wanted me to go through an elaborate set up procedure for a chat to which I already had access by another means. You told me to attend the chat, but to only observe, not speak. When I did that, you private messaged me because I wasn't talking. When I explained why, you said, "You know what I mean." No, I didn't. I sat here, observing this meeting, for over an hour. The first half hour was small talk and chat, not business, as far as I could see.

Yes, I played Civilization during the first chat. It was slow and boring, sitting here, waiting for someone to type something. So I played a game at the same time. And I mentioned that in the meeting. I had no idea I'd violated anything. Others spoke of what was going on in their lives; I was just doing the same. I played Civilization during chat last night, too.

I'm trying very hard to be available to work for you. The many meetings yesterday ate up my whole day. I couldn't edit; I need hours of uninterrupted time to do audio work. I couldn't take a nap. I couldn't work in the yard or wash dishes. Finally, my dog pooped on my bedroom floor, because she's used to being walked around 6:30, but I couldn't leave the computer. Nothing in that meeting pertained to me, as near as I can tell, and I'm not sure why I was there.

The last thing you IMed me was that you would be telephoning me on your skype thing this morning. I was here all morning, until 10:30. I have no phone messages, emails, IMs or anything else from you. I got back around 12:30; your IM thing was off. I did chores and waited around.

You know I can work. You know I'm smart, resourceful and honest. In one of our IM sessions yesterday, you said I need to earn my keep, by taking some of the burden off you (I'm paraphrasing; I don't remember exactly what you'd said, but you put a "$" in one of the words. I felt like you believe I'm not trying to work, but was afraid to say anything.

I need you to sit down with Bxxxx, or someone, and write out a detailed list of my monthly tasks, estimate the hours it might take, and email them to me, so I can refer back to what my duties are.

I'm trying so hard to get out of this victimized living and financial situation I'm in. It's very stressful and I never know, from day to day, what kind of shit is going to hit the fan next.

I need my work life to be dependable, respectful, efficient, calm and supportive.

If I've pissed you off by writing this, I'm sorry. There's nothing I can do about that. I have to be honest. If you want your $500 back, I'll just have to make payments.

But I can't keep doing this.

No comments: