Poverty Is Not an Accident

Poverty Is Not an Accident
Nelson Mandela

Tuesday, January 08, 2008

to B

You are reading http://livinginthehood.blogspot.com

My girlfriend bought a huge, Ryder moving van. It's got a 15 foot box on the back. We slept in it in the dead of winter, on a cross-country trip along the Santa Fe Trail, all the way to Kansas City and back. She was producing a video about the Santa Fe trail, based on a radio production we'd done for the station. It was quite a trip! Thing is, that old truck gets 10mpg, even on the highway, not fully loaded. So, I'll be saving my nickels & dimes to drive down there. About how many miles is it, so I can start planning?

My girlfriend & I are splitting up in the summer. She lost her mind and punched me in the head. I said, that's it. As soon as I can afford to get you out of here, you're moving out. She's planning to move in July. The end.

My lease will be up right around then, too. This place is overpriced, for one thing. For another thing, the landlady is loco. I mean she's really nuts. I think she's high most of the time, and writes emails while drunk. It's a duplex. The neighbors in front LITERALLY spy on us, complain about us constantly, and block my access to the driveway and the passageway to the back yard. Since I have 2 goats, it's rather inconvenient to be hauling feed and goats through the KITCHEN! LOL.

So, I hope not to be living here for another year.

And I've been thinking. My income, beyond my $700.00 disability crumbs, is all based on internet, pretty much.

I work for Laura, the lady who published the dumpster piece and most of the other stuff you found on the web page with that. She pays me $250/month to write for her website.

With some MINOR modifications, I could do telephone interviews for radio from my home computer. I can always drive in to the station, too, like I did with you guys. That's an extra $650, after taxes, every 3 months.
Basically, my monthly income is about $1250.00 now, plus or minus.

I hate Albuquerque. It's a town full of butt sniffing gossips. It has a long tradition of persecuting anybody perceived as "different." Basically, the hillbillies in rurual Kentucky treated me better than I'm treated here.

Anybody supposedly "liberal" and "progressive" belongs to an elitest clicque of smart assed academics, who look down on anybody who doesn't know their jargon, lives working class, smokes, doesn't talk politically correct speech, etc. Hence, my constant marginalization at KUNM (which is why I do most of my work from home, by the way; the less they see me, the less they can look down on me.)

So, I've been thinking, as you've probably figured out by now, it might not be stupid to pull up stakes and leave. But where?

Well, you're working on an old motel, which is one of my persistant visions. You've got 2 girls and a bunch of critters that need tending. Nobody down there will think I'm crazy for having goats as pets, 'though I'm pretty sure they'll find a lot of OTHER stuff to think I'm crazy about.

You see where I'm going with this?

That's why I'd like to come down. I want to see if we could cohabitate and work together on some of these projects, without killing each other.

I will never be a Christian, the way you think of it. Well, I'm probably more YOUR kind of Christian than what I usually see. I won't pretend about my personal background; I'm not a conventional heterosexual. I'm also not a child molester. I'm also not a slut. I'm also not a bit interested in any romantic or sexual adventures at this point of my life. But I won't lie or pretend I'm something I'm not.

So, I wanted to come down there to see if I could squeeze in to that mayhem you're running, as it seems a far sight more like what I'm about than other options I've seen in quite some time.

That's as honest as I know how to be.

If you're willing to discuss it, let's talk.

No comments: