Poverty Is Not an Accident

Poverty Is Not an Accident
Nelson Mandela

Friday, June 27, 2008

where I'm moving

You are reading http://livinginthehood.blogspot.com

Someone emailed me today, thinking Ft. Sumner is in Colorado. I WISH it were in Colorado, but it's actually in semi- or demiHell, New Mexico, almost Texas. They seem to have planted Billy the Kid there: long history of varmints, livin down there. 'cept for the Jesus and the football, I ought to fit right in.
http://www.ftsumnerchamber.com/

If you set this map on "terrain" and zoom in 3 jots before highest zoom, you can see Br's place pretty well, incl. 18 wheelers passing on the highway.

I'm hoping to gawd those big, black, ugly rectangles next door to her place aren't a feed lot or a meat processing plant! The stench and screaming would tear me up.

It's an abandoned hotel, on Highway 60 (north side of the road), on 13 acres. Her payments are $300/month. 1 acre = 4840 yards. I don't know how big an acre is, but i know it's bigger than a standard back yard by some.

They've got horses and a barn. I think I see that, and the horse corral, just north of the living complexes. I wouldn't MIND living in the barn! Done it before. Just need internet, phone and electric. I can make my own septic tank & haul h2o.

I'll be living in a 25' travel trailer until we can get the 2 br mobile home fixed up. I'll also have a motel room for art & recording studio space.

I'll be living there rent free, paying my own utilities & other expenses.

I'll be working as Amanda's personal care assistant, part time.

I plan to work on radio & my art & writing a lot.

I'll be applying for a volunteer position at the actual Fort, a state monument; I plan to do research on The Long Walk. Ft. Sumner is the destination of that walk, during which thousands of Apache and Dine were kidnapped by the US army from their homes and forcibly marched to the fort. The fort -- and the old US airbase (where NASA still does balloon research) are within walking distance.

There's fishing in the Pecos River & several lakes, so I'll be taking my goats & dogs fishing with me.

Within 20 miles, I can visit several "ghost towns," one of which is still occupied by a post office and population of 11 residents.

There's a wind farm near Portales. Portales has ENMU, for "cultcha," science (which I LOVE!) and an occassional, decent cuppa coffee.

I'm hoping to set up an ameteur astronomy observatory, if light pollution permits.

There's a marginally active group of Unitarian Universalists; they range from Ft. Sumner to Eastern Texas. So, I'll have some fellowship occasionally, if they're not the "bickering" kind of UUs (which is why I'm not involved in any Albq. fellowships).

I'm also in contact with a country western AM station; they broadcast jeebus, rush and classic country, from So. Canada to ALL of Mexico, at night, anyway. They're interested in me for the news dept.

I'm in contact with the editor of the De Baca County Register & the Livestock Report, both of which publish weekly, to work as a reporter.

I'm also in contact with SouthernNewMexico.com an online ezine that can use me as a reporter.

I'm planning on being the correspondent of "Little Texas" for KUNM. We don't broadcast down there, but I can listen on the 'net, for now. I'm already discussing with Richard Towne how to put up a little tower & broadcast KUNM off the 'net, plus get some locals to go in with me on producing local programming. I'll discuss it with the Prometheus Radio Project re: low power FM.

It's too late this year, but next year I hope to hell to put in a decent "truck" garden. I have chickens for eggs. I have goats for milk/cheese, once I breed Nilly. Don't see why I should buy food if I can grow it. Hopefully, Br will have some equipment I can use to prepare the ground. I see what look like furrows to the west of the hotel; maybe I'll get really lucky & that'll be on her property.

Mostly, I think the economy in this country will get MUCH worse before it gets better. I'm going to hunker down, eliminate extra expenses, do my art & creative work and heal my body & mind.

Anybody interested in joining us? There's lots of room at the hotel!
--
Rogi Riverstone
http://rriverstone.com


"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
-- President George W. Bush, August 5, 2004.

No comments: