Poverty Is Not an Accident

Poverty Is Not an Accident
Nelson Mandela

Friday, April 30, 2010

MOVIE: "Dark Matter"


You are reading http://livinginthehood.blogspot.com

Except for the pathetic ending, this is an excellent movie. Until the protagonist resorted to his "solution," I was completely empathetic.


The "university" (aka assimilationist thought factory) did this to me. They did it because I, a person with behavioral health challenges, believed that class status and "disability" should not be reasons to exclude people from active participation in education.


When shaming me into silence didn't work, they tried isolation and finally had to resort to blatant lies, false accusations and attributions of motive to me that weren't mine.


The system of inhuman pressures people within the modern "academic" industrial complex must endure is making not only the individual participants sick, but has corroded the system to the point of uselessness, which is now destroying the larger culture.


The ending merely reinforces stereotypes about behavioral health challenges and is part of the problem. We are more afraid of you than you have any right to be afraid of us. You mask your prejudices behind carefully manipulated "statistics" to portray us as dangerous, untrustworthy and irrelevant.


I lived with humiliation, dismissal, shouts, threats, sabotage and actual physical violence from my so called "superiors" at the university. Given their behavior, I would have been completely justified in expressing anger, frustration and disappointment. But, because of my behavioral health challenges, I didn't dare express any of that; they would have used it as an excuse to pathologize me.


So, before we assume the sadistic ivory tower of academia will drive people "crazy" and assume to equate that with "violent," remember my story.


They broke my heart. They robbed me of my career. They shunned and ostracized me. But most important of all, they killed my ability to make a contribution to the larger society.


But I never harmed or threatened any of them. Thank you, Richard, Marcos, Tristan, Paul, Renee and Mary B., in particular.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Matter_%28film%29

No comments: