Poverty Is Not an Accident

Poverty Is Not an Accident
Nelson Mandela

Thursday, August 05, 2010

MOVIE: "Delicatessen"

You are reading http://livinginthehood.blogspot.com
Share |

Technically and artistically, the film is perfect, except for the script. I was left with so many questions about back story, I could barely concentrate on precocious shenanigans and Rube Goldberg machinations. It is all extremely clever and everyone associated with it is professional, creative and amusing. But, for it to be a dark comedy, to me, I need more reason to accept the circumstances. I guess I need to see beyond the bombed street and crumbling apartments. The mail carrier, taxi driver and new tenant are our only real clues to the world beyond, but they reveal too little. If I had the talent, production $, professional stature and access to such talented crew & cast, I think I may have created something with a bit more substance? I would not want anything polemic or soap box, but something to help my viewers feel something beyond mild amusement, being impressed with how clever I am and thinking the universe is only a patchwork collection of individual experiences and ignorance. This does not enlighten, inspire or amuse me and that is a fundamental requirement I hold for true art. This is very proficient craftsmanship, but not art.

No comments: