Poverty Is Not an Accident

Poverty Is Not an Accident
Nelson Mandela

Sunday, August 01, 2010

MOVIE: "Life as a House"

You are reading http://livinginthehood.blogspot.com
Share |

Everything I thought this movie would be, as I began to watch it, turned out not to be true. I saw an arrogant, willful, repressed, selfish and impulsive jackass, tearing through the people around him with no regard for their safety or well being. Then, I saw his son and knew I was right. His son was even worse: raging, drowning his soul in mind altering chemicals and high risk behavior. This man had destroyed his child. I hated this man. Even as he started tearing down the old house, I thought, the materians should be recycled, not thrown in a dumpster. He needs to control his dog. He needs not to urinate where children can see him. He thought he was going to teach his son to be a man that summer: working on that project together. What really happened was that HE learned how to be a man: to be intimate, to listen, to protect, to open up and be honest. He made a multi-generational ammends for sins of the father. And his son? Well, that still makes me smile. I wish I had a parent who would have done this for me. I wish I had a child I could give this gift.

No comments: