Poverty Is Not an Accident

Poverty Is Not an Accident
Nelson Mandela

Thursday, March 23, 2006

studying

You are reading http://livinginthehood.blogspot.com

With absolutely no guarantee I'd actually experience this radical transformation in my life, I've begun researching everything I can about this other place.

Affordable housing is scarce; there's a serious housing shortage. There's little public transportation. The cost of living is no joke and jobs are scarce and low-paying.

On the "up" side, there's a serious movement of sustainable living and organic farming. Many farms are offering housing for workers. Some include goat dairy farming. It's beautiful there. There's a serious alternative community: queer supportive, barter currency to keep money in the community, low pollution, "green" archetectural movement, even within the government.

The customary diet relies heavily on fish, chicken and produce; it's very healthy, if one avoids fast foods, which I do. There are extremely popular farmers' markets, where I could sell stuff.

They have a college, community radio and tv, lots of internet stuff.

One CAN live there without a car, if careful.

People like me are more the norm than freaks.

Serious economic changes occurred there over the past 2 decades. There's been a dramatic rise in meth use. The prisons are overflowing. There's little health care and poor residents smile without teeth a lot, like me.

It would be difficult. But, if I divest myself of most of my possessions and don't plan to acquire as many again once I'm there, if I rely on a more vegetarian diet, if I stop smoking BEFORE I go, I should be ok.

The people recycle things, so my crazy, second-hand lifestyle will fit right in.

It's a fragile environment and must be treated with respect. It's not as harsh to live in as this is, but the trade off is that living like a middle class American is for the birds there.

Who knows? I may end up a goat herd!

No comments: