Poverty Is Not an Accident

Poverty Is Not an Accident
Nelson Mandela

Friday, March 31, 2006

trying

You are reading http://livinginthehood.blogspot.com

I'm very lucky, with regard to the clinic. I'm seeing an actual doctor. She's not a nurse practitioner. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but most social service agencies, etc., won't accept a NP's sig, when they want an MD's.

She's very young. She's very respectful. She hasn't learned to dismiss and disreguard low income patients yet.

And she does follow up on such things as: are the procedures she's scheduling covered by medicare and medicaid. Usually, I'm on my own, researching such.

I'm to go in for my first mamogram soon as they schedule it.

I'm already throwing away things I can't sell or take, things that I know aren't recycleable. I look around all day finding things that I can eleminate from my life. We have a nice, small, upright freezer. I'm wondering if I can just pack that full of the things I'd take and ship it. The condenser coils are covered, so it wouldn't be as prone to damage. I could pack it into a pine crate, for shipping. That way, I'd have the freezer for food storage. It doesn't weigh much, relatively.

It's way too soon to tell if this thing is going to happen, but I believe in early planning, so I won't be so overwhelmed, if and when I learn this thing is a "go." As gimpy as I am, and given that I don't have a car, it'll take some serious finagling to make this happen. It's going to be hard work. Any planning I can do now to alleviate some of the stress is a good thing.

I needed to "unload" some stuff, anyway. It's not like I couldn't replace most of my existing possessions at flea markets, yard sales and thrift stores, anyway. Then, there's trash picking, too.

So, if I can handle getting my health better, earning some money and divesting myself of worldly goods, I should be ok.

The hardest part is finding a job my tired, old body can actually do!

No comments: