Poverty Is Not an Accident

Poverty Is Not an Accident
Nelson Mandela

Saturday, May 08, 2010


You are reading http://livinginthehood.blogspot.com

I've lived, undiagnosed, with Post Traumatic Stress, for most of my life.

I first saw "The Fisher King" well before I had a diagnosis. Until then, I just went through life, feeling inadequate or lazy or stupid, not knowing how utterly painful the nightmare really is. I didn't know other people weren't held down by PTSD like I was. I thought I was squandering my potential and I hated myself.

"The Fisher King" gave me permission to begin a path to recovery. Its main theme is hope: liberation from bondage, from trauma, from timidity.

"Jack" is always seen behind bars at the beginning of this movie: he's the real captive here, not "Perry."

I want to say something about production. I'm not from NYC and have never been there. But, whenever the subject of Union Station comes up, I immediately see the scene from "TFK," and smile.

And that Escher stair case! Holy smokes!

And the improve in that gorgeous Chinese restaurant!

And the lighting in Bellview!

And the defense of the homeless. Yes, thank you.

This movie probably helped me save my life. It is a dear friend. I was recently robbed and lost almost everything, including my VCR tapes. When I saw "TFK" in my "Play Instantly" thing today, recommended to me, based on my other eclectic and breaking-the-algorithm of trying to guess what I'd like, I was thrilled.

The moment I heard the name, "Babbit's," I misted up.

Every psychology class should be required to see this film. If you think you can "treat" or, more preposterously, heal people with behavioral health challenges, this should be required curriculum!

BRAVO!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fisher_King_%28film%29

No comments: