Poverty Is Not an Accident

Poverty Is Not an Accident
Nelson Mandela

Thursday, February 02, 2006

ceramics

You are reading http://livinginthehood.blogspot.com

I paid fees to use the Arts and Crafts studio at UNM. I think it's about $30 for members of the community, but I got in at the "staff" rate of $18, as I'm Volunteer Staff at the radio station on campus.

It's a rather primative facility. The clay's inconsistant, blended from bits of recycled clays. It's sandy, too.

But they have more than five throwing wheels. They have a slab roller, with which you can adjust the clay's thickness. They have SOME pouring molds, but, from what I can see, most are pretty cheesy.

They do have a Jesus mold, which gave me an idea. I could glaze and decorate Jesus statues with anti-war, environmentalist and Queer rights slogans, and place them anywhere I choose around town.

They have five gallon buckets of glazes. They have some tools.

Anyway, I threw my first jar yesterday. It's not too fancy, but it's cute: squat, with a narrow opening and nice lip.

I'm thinking of making bird feeders, bird houses, chicken food dishes, a bird bath and even some ceramic tables for the yard.

I can make things to sell, too, which is a high priority.

I've been studying ceramics on the 'net, too.

It hurts, using the wheel. My thighs were so sore after 4 hours, I could barely sit down afterwards. And my shoulders, arms and back are sore, too. So, I'm thinking this is very healthy. Of course, I've been awake since 4am, as I was in too much pain to sleep.

They have jewelery making there, too. But I haven't a clue what to do there... I'm thinking, though, of making some ceramics with holes pierced, to add chains or cords of beads and chicken feathers. My roosters, in particular, have feathers that look like some sort of wild plummage. I can just snip feathers with scissors.

Despite the pain, I had a good time yesterday. Nobody helped me, beyond a rudimentary tour of the studio.

It's hard to center clay and keep it centered while pulling it into shape. I also got my clay way too wet at times. It was like molding melted chocolate.

I'll take pictures of anything worth bringing home and post them here.

No comments: