Poverty Is Not an Accident

Poverty Is Not an Accident
Nelson Mandela

Saturday, February 04, 2006

pygmies


You are reading http://livinginthehood.blogspot.com

I have lost my mind. My check came, so I ran some errands and bought pet food. There's a feed store, across the street from Kmart. I went there to get some chicken scratch.

I told myself, as I walked in, "now, Rogi, don't buy any more animals here."

Well, I was doing just fine: all they had was rodents, birds, cats & dogs. I wasn't a bit interested.

So, I walked to the counter to order my feed.

....and out pranced two, week-old, pygmy goats: brother and sister.

Yeah, I got 'em. I got some lamb formula, too. And they gave me nursing bottles.

I'll go back in a few weeks for hay and feed.

They slept in my bed last night. I have an old blanket on it, to protect my covers from cats & dog. Now, of course, it has some lil goat poopies on it and will need replacing today.

They're eating fine. My dog, Taz, has somewhat adopted them.

Here they are, sleepin with my teddy bear.

I found a great website: http://fiascofarm.com/. They run a dairy farm, practice humane animal husbandry and practice some holistic veterinary. I'm learning a lot. She has articles on every aspect of goat-rearing you could think of. They raise standard, milk goats. So, proportions are different, as pygmies are MUCH smaller.

I'll castrate the boy, so he won't stink up the place. But I'm NOT debudding them (ie: removing the horns). It requires a hot iron. There's danger of boiling their brains. I'll just make them little hats to cover their horns when they're in the house. Pygmies have small horns, anyway.

By the way, I drove Ma's falling-apart car to run these errands. Imagine, trying to sneak to kids on the bus! lord. I rarely drive it. But it comes in handy from time to time.

No comments: