Poverty Is Not an Accident

Poverty Is Not an Accident
Nelson Mandela

Thursday, February 09, 2006

misc.

You are reading http://livinginthehood.blogspot.com

I couldn't sleep this morning, so I watched some tv. I've never watched The Daily Buzz before. The promos seemed so juvenile, I wasn't interested. Well, I watched some this morning and was horrified. The so-called "anchors" don't simply report news; they editorialize. And their commentaries are reactionary, ill-informed and extremely biased. Even the stand-up "newsreader" has to inject the most ridiculous, poorly-thought-out and biased comments while reading stories. They also just HAD to comment that the PBS evening news is boring, congratulating themselves on being more entertaining, I guess. Well, news is NOT entertainment. It's information. Muddy, incoherant promotions of particular agendas is not news. It was aweful. And it's the future of tv news.

I'm going into the ceramics studio today. I'm worried about my work and my tools, and need to check on everything. I also need to uncover it from plastic, so it'll dry in time to fire. I made Ma a couple of Valentine's Day presents. They need both first firing, glazing and second firing, and the 14th is coming soon!

The goats are doing great. They can drink more than five oz. at a time now. They're very active and strong. They sleep less and play more.

My neighbor complained to me about a black rabbit, eating her rose bush. I don't have a black rabbit. But I saw the varmint in her yard. I made her brother and sister help me catch him. He's HUGE, very strong and not a bit domesticated. I've got him in my dog carrier for temporary purposes. Once I've rabbit proofed my enclosure better, I'll set him loose out there with the chickens. When I grabbed him, he screamed like a stuck pig! I don't blame him for hating me: I chased him for over an hour, pulled out some fur in the capture, and then confined him to a small, dark space in a room with a dog and two goats!

I have nothing else to report today, really. Just thought I should check in.

Oh, we're returning "The Hours," a movie, loosely based on Virginia Woolf's Mrs. Dalloway. It was unnecessarily confusing. And I have no patience for sympathetic apologias for suicide. It angered me, for that. Ms. Woolf suffered serious, psychiatric disorders which, even today, often go either untreated or mistreated. I understand her decision to end her life. But the other two characters, an attempted and a completed suicide, I don't forgive. The attempted was pregnant. The completed fell out a window in the presence of his best friend. Both are unforgivable, in my opinion. Yet, I think we're to believe these characters were, somehow, noble? Nah.

I've been suicidal. I'll tell you what: courage is NOT committing suicide, even when one has NO reason not to do it. I mean, I had no family, no support, no money and often, no home, when I was suicidal. I could see no reason to continue living in pain and poverty. But, somehow, I made myself hold on until the crisis passed.

Frankly, I don't think I'll ever be suicidal again. Unless, of course, I contract an illness or disability which would SO compromise my quality of life that I needed to proactively end it, if I could.

But psychological crisis will probably never be an incentive for me to kill myself.

Well, I'm returning the DVD today, not having watched the full-length commentary, as I'm just not that interested, thanks.

No comments: