Poverty Is Not an Accident

Poverty Is Not an Accident
Nelson Mandela

Tuesday, January 16, 2007

$75 for GOAT FOOD?!!!

You are reading http://livinginthehood.blogspot.com


$75 for GOAT FOOD?!!!

Well, part of the problem with Willy's willy has been diet. I've been
letting them eat a diet of almost exclusively grain. Grain feed has too
many minerals in it, which forms urinary tract stones.
So, since our big truck is in the shop, my neighbor got her pickup and
she drove me & her sister to the feed store, mostly for the adventure.
I bought: 4 alfalfas, 4 bedding straws & 3 bales of timothy grass.
The goats had a ball, helping me move it from the front to backyard. We
just threw it over the wall when we got back, and it was in a pile
about
five feet tall. They'd run beside me and jump up on the pile. I'd grab
a
bale or 2 on my cart to haul it into the back yard and they'd race
around with me.
I "flaked" a few bales of the alfalfa onto the ground and Willy jumped
and pranced all over it. He and Nilly would get into head butting
fights
over it, over me, and over who was going to torture the rooster.
The rooster's name is Fido. When he was a chick, Rachel & I thought he
was a hen. But he's all rooster, now. He's a little bit in love with
me.
I rescued him from the more macho roosters, when he was young. He
learned to follow me around the yard, like a puppy.
Now, he has a love-me/hate-me attitude toward me. He does the Rooster
Dance around me: trying to seduce me, so I'll have sex with him (which
I
won't.) He still follows me all over the yard. Sometimes, though, he
jumps me. He comes at me, claws first, and smacks me in the ankles.
Nilly won't tolerate that. Whenever he tries to charge me, if she sees
him, she'll attack him with her horns.
So, today, the goats were playing socker with Fido, whenever he got too
frisky.
There are several hundred pounds of feed and bedding out there now, and
the goats are leaping and jumping, running, climbing and eating their
hearts out.
The chickens are scratching and nibbling in the alfalfa flakes.
I had to change all my clothes, it made me so itchy.
Just made lunch of Ranch Style beans with jalepenos, quesidillas and
burritos. So, we're fed and happy, too.
Rachel's geeking out, installing software on some of our computers. I'm
vegging, watching my soaps & surfin the web.
Willy's going to be ok. He finished the last of his penicillin
injections yesterday. Poor guy. I hated shooting him in the butt.
He's still not peeing great, but he's peeing. He's playful. He's
eating.
He's not complaining.
A few, more days -- especially eating that good food -- and he'll be
alright again.
But SEVENTY FIVE DOLLARS???? jeeees.

No comments: