Poverty Is Not an Accident

Poverty Is Not an Accident
Nelson Mandela

Saturday, January 27, 2007

Winter Blahs

You are reading http://livinginthehood.blogspot.com


winter blahs

http://games.net4tv.com/games4tv/blog/article/273/

I live outdoors a lot, even when it's freezing and windy. I have my
chickens, ducks and goats. I ride a 49cc scooter and an electric
bicycle. I have tons of weather-appropriate clothing. Albuquerque is hot
and bright in the summer and can be pretty cold in the winter.
I do more indoor stuff in the winter, true. But it's stuff that cheers
me up: webpage stuff, cooking, going through my archives (I'm an ametuer
museum archivist, kind of) for memories about which I write. I have my
cats, who are indoors when my grouchy neighbor next door is home (she
hates everything, and cats jump walls.)

We rent movies from an online service. I'm learning to make my own, for
the local, cable access station. I'll be posting short ones at myspace,
google, youtube, blogger. We go to local theatre productions. We go to
the dollar movie plex, and stop at the Goodwill clearance center
afterward (we recently bought a laser jet printer and a scanner, both
working great, for ten bucks each there.)

I'm also a volunteer at the local, community radio station. I work in
Albuquerque Radio Theatre. Occassionally, I get paid for half hour,
independent productions. I do everything from our home computers, burn
it to disc and take it to the station. It's nice, kind of like webtv: I
can sit in my jammies and do broadcasting!

I love the holiday parties; I cook extravegant and
impressively-presented goodies for potlucks and gatherings. I also
experiment more in winter with cuisines I don't know all that well:
Eastern European, Thai, African, etc.
After holidays, I start cleaning out the kitchen for the early harvests
that'll come from my spring garden. I plant seed to start in window
shelves.

I go to thrift stores and shop http://shopgoodwill.com in the winter. In
the summer, I'll go to yard sales and the flea market.
Winter's when I do most of my online posting, as I have more time to
read what people are thinking and respond to it. Summers, I'm running
around the yard with tools and stuff. My shoes are too dirty to come
indoors & I don't have time to flop in front of the TV.

I connect with people I love and we catch up on what's going on in our
lives.

Winters are just as nourishing as warm weather, for me.

No comments: