Poverty Is Not an Accident

Poverty Is Not an Accident
Nelson Mandela

Monday, January 29, 2007

How to make peat planter pots?

You are reading http://livinginthehood.blogspot.com

My buddy, Ronny, is contemplating peat pot designs. My reply follows, to which R W added the suggestion of window screening, which I whole heartedly endorse.

I think the compression idea is a good one.I'm thinking you could line a flower pot with fine-mesh chicken wire, orrabbit fencing (if you can find some that's not too stiff to shape).Then, line it all with the peat. Then, shove another flower pot inside,to shape it.I'd turn the whole thing upside down and weight it with like bricks,concrete blocks, rocks...and leave it someplace sunny and dry for a fewweeks.I wouldn't use glue, per se. I'd mix in something sticky, like sugarsyrup or eggs beaten in water. That'd bind it.Mixing some paper pulp in would help, too.With my paper pulp, I mix in cheap, white flour, a little carpenter'sglue, and latex paint. Holds up for years!

No comments: