Poverty Is Not an Accident

Poverty Is Not an Accident
Nelson Mandela

Thursday, January 18, 2007

Ronny

You are reading http://livinginthehood.blogspot.com

Ronny lives in an old house in Eastern Texas. He loves to describe how he fusses over the place, the things he scavanges for it and all the work he does. Right now, he's working on a large, back room. But it's really cold there, too, and sleeting. So he asked, in my newsgroup yesterday, if he should work or not. I ended up replying with my own chores.



From:
"Rogi Riverstone"
Date:
Wed, 17 Jan 2007 19:31:51 -0700

I'm sorry, Ronny, I didn't see this 'till almost seven thirty, tonight
I know. Weather here's been pretty miserable, too. 'course, I'm not
that
far from you, either. I've still got snow ice in my back yard. It
snowed
about 2 feet, three weeks ago, and it's still lingering. My duck ponds
get so frozen, the ducks literally skate on em in the mornings!
I had to go out and shore up my goat shed. I wedged bedding hay into
the
chinks the wind blew through. I also installed some red light bulbs, to
keep the chickens & goats warmer at nite. I have 7 chickens, huddled
around one, red floodlight bulb tonight. Goats seem comfy on their new
beds of straw with a lamp on them.
I hate working in the cold. I get all stove up and can barely waddle
around out there.
A neighborhood restaurant closed last week. They threw what the didn't
sell at their moving sale in the trash. Tomorrow's trash day. So, I
took
my goats and pulled my kid's wagon down the alley to scavange. Mostly,
I
wanted the 5 foot tall, silk-leaf ficus tree they'd thrown out. But I
got some other junk, too.
Brought it all home and fixed the tree with a splint on one broken
branch. Fluffed out the leaves and have it standing in my driveway,
with
other baskets & containers I use for planters. They all have dried &
silk flowers in them for winter. Come spring, they'll be full of herbs,
flowers and some small vegies.
Today, I washed the Dish Mountain in the sink. I also continued my war
with Microsoft about not being able to post in alt.discuss
I called Oasis DSL. We're getting DSL hooked up here. We have 5
computers in the house, along with my webtv. So, I'll be able to use
the
landline for webtv and my g/f can use internet on PC at the same time.
And we could both b on PC internet on 2 computers at the same time.
I can't remember what else I did today. Mostly puttering, as I recall.
It's good to have you back in my ng!
Your house sounds like fun!

No comments: