Poverty Is Not an Accident

Poverty Is Not an Accident
Nelson Mandela

Monday, November 29, 2010

fire wood

You are reading http://livinginthehood.blogspot.com
Share |

The fire wood is another example. I applied for Low income Heating Assistance again this year. Last year. Dept. Human Services paid a bit toward electric and referred me to another agency for fire wood (the latter saved my life last winter). This year, I reapplied. Dept. Human Services did not know, however, or did not inform me, that the other agency had no funding for fire wood this year. I accepted help with electricity. THE DAY the electric co-operative got paid was the day i found out about the fire wood. What i had not been told was that Dept. Human Services COULD have paid for fire wood, but not both. So, I got $200 for electricity, which, if I'm very careful, MIGHT last 2 months; winter here lasts six months, frequent below-freezing temps. I saved as much wood as I could last year, but, if the weather stays this cold, it'll be gone in about 2 or 3 weeks. Since I'll have to move soon, I really can't afford to buy and abandon most of $200 worth of delivered fire wood. I'm screwed. i could literally die, and the agencies responsible don't care. I'm burning junk furniture I had to remove from this place when I moved in, bits of particle board and other toxic wood products to extend my fire wood. I also save up paper products to burn. And I use the ashes from the fires as cat litter. I fil out their damn forms; they make false promises and go home in warm cars to full refrigerators and warm houses? The state invested in junk bonds, bad mortgages and hedge funds and I get to freeze to death?

No comments: