Poverty Is Not an Accident

Poverty Is Not an Accident
Nelson Mandela

Sunday, August 15, 2004

a house

You are reading http://livinginthehood.blogspot.com

We got a house today. I start moving in tomorrow.

It's 2 bedrooms, with large kitchen and livingroom. I have space for a recording studio/writing study. The yards are huge. It's thick adobe, with an attic for storage.

It's on a very quiet street with very nice neighbors. The couple next door has chickens.

We have room for my 2nd refrigerator and washer. We have room for my greenhouse and lawn furniture.

The kitchen is so large, I can open my dining table, add a leaf, plop it in the middle of the room and still have space for shelving all the way around it. It'll be my "island."

The living room's quite large and comfortable.

I get the kitchen and my bedroom. My girl gets the livingroom and her bedroom. We share the bathroom, with a door through each of our bedrooms.

My bedroom's got a door to the kitchen, too. Hers has a door to the livingroom.

Porkchop won't be allowed in the livingroom or her room

I'm going to fence off a "kennel" for my cats, so they can't bother my neighbors' chickens. They'll be able to come and go through my bedroom window.

The kitchen has much more cabinet space, and the oven is much larger. It has a medium sized refrigerator; with mine, we'll have plenty of food storage.

It's within walking distance of a good grocer's. It's within walking distance of Old Towne, too, and Downtown.

It's a very quiet neighborhood. I didn't hear one voice or any music, on a Sunday afternoon, the whole time we were there.

I begin moving in tomorrow.

I won't pay anymore rent for this dump. He can use my deposit for next month's rent. I'll give notice when my stuff is safely out of here.

I should be out by the beginning of Sept. I'm borrowing my girl's car to move my stuff and we'll rent a small truck for the appliances and large furniture.

So, she'll have a new space when she returns from her trip and resumes school. She'd have been rather too busy for a move then, anyway.

And I'll spend my first Solstice alone in a new house, with my little tree in the window.

I can plant a fabulous garden there. The animals will be happy.

Since our bedrooms are seperated by the bathroom, we won't wake each other up much.

Next year, I'd like to have a barbeque in the back yard for my birthday.

This year, a new home is enough birthday for me.

She's doing laundry right now. She'll probably be back tonight. She has stayed here every night, since we became lovers. She was supposed to spend tonight at her place, but is bringing me her car and her bicycle, so she can go to work on it tomorrow.

And she can easily bicycle to work from our new place.

Ironically, the whole house costs only twenty-five dollars per month more than I've been paying for this dump.

We've made extra keys. We've planned the utilities, phone and post office.

I'm ready.

And so, the adventure continues.

No comments: