Poverty Is Not an Accident

Poverty Is Not an Accident
Nelson Mandela

Friday, August 06, 2004

how to help

You are reading http://livinginthehood.blogspot.com

For now, my ways of helping are, necessarily, remedial. But they do help.

My scooter tire's flat. Oh, I could patch one of the tubes that doesn't really fit right. But the odds are I'd get stuck somewhere. I've got new tires & tubes ordered at eBay and they should be here within a week.

But I had an appointment at UNMH for "financial aid" this morning. My girl volunteered to drive me and sleep in her car while I was in there.

I emailed in the middle of the night, saying not to come get me. I'd walk.

I woke at 7 to my alarm. I'm fuzzy headed and not thinking right. It's dangerous for me to walk.

But I called my girl, to make sure she got my message. She had, and she'd replied, but my email is empty. There's a compatibility problem between MSNTV and, apparantly, ANY other email client. Emails get lost sometimes.

I reassured her I'd go alone. She thanked me. She may be over later for a nap.

Well, UNMH's office is less than 2 miles from my house. I called to schedule the appointment over a week ago. They were supposed to send me a "check list" of necessary documentation I'd need to bring with me.

I didn't get the list until four o'clock, yesterday.

I'll have some serious digging around to do, to unearth the paperwork documentation they require. Frankly, I'm not thinking clearly enough, nor do I have enough time this morning, to get everything they want and still show up on time.

So, as soon as I finish this post, I'll call to reschedule for late next week. Hopefully, I'll have my scooter running again by then.

And I'll certainly have all the paperwork collected together which they require.

I have no idea why it took over seven days for a letter from them, two miles away, to arrive at my house the evening before my appointment.

I have to trust this beurocracy with my health. That's pretty scary.

My girl should be in her meeting by now, with most of the extra work dumped on her completed. She'll still have more to do today, of course. And she'll have to deal with someone who lost it recently and must be "handled." THAT's an unnecessary distraction and aggrevation.

People think I'll be irresponsible or cause damage, because I'm poor. It's a stereotype, of course, but there it is.

Yet, it would seem it's always the spoiled, self-impressed, priviledged people who do the most damage.

Anything troublesome associated with me is generally a case of the priviledged resenting me for being straight forward, anyway.

The priviledged thrive on lies, misdirections and smoke and mirrors. I hate that crap.

Well, it's time to call the beurocoracy and reschedule.

'course, every week without dental care is another week I can't kiss my girl. dang.

No comments: