Poverty Is Not an Accident

Poverty Is Not an Accident
Nelson Mandela

Sunday, July 03, 2011

How TV Ruined Aspiration

You are reading http://livinginthehood.blogspot.com
Share |

Email to my friends, Kate and Rachel:

the following story may be apocryphal, but I could swear Kate told me she stopped watching tv after throwing a go-go boot at it when Angela Davis was arrested. If it's NOT a true story, it should be.

Rachel enjoys films, but I've seen no enthusiasm from her for this glut of "reality" cough programming. She seems to prefer actual writing, acting, plot, imagination, etc.

I turned on a tv once, a couple of years ago, and was absolutely HORRIFIED by what I saw on every channel. During my recent stays at the Pondarosa hotel in Moriarty, I have to say that horror was confirmed. I have no reason to watch tv, except public broadcasting and Ugly Betty.

So, when I saw this tonight, I literally nearly peed myself. He says, out loud, what I've been thinking for a long time now. It's really funny, frightening and validating.




Comedian Charlie Brooker uses a mix of sketches and jaw-dropping archive footage to explore the gulf between reality and television. Warning: contains Sophie Dahl and coffins.

No comments: