Poverty Is Not an Accident

Poverty Is Not an Accident
Nelson Mandela

Thursday, April 13, 2006

eatin cheap biscuits

You are reading http://livinginthehood.blogspot.com

Ok, I bought me some cheap biscuits at Try & Save the other day. Ma can't eat wheat; she has celiac disease and can't digest it. But, whenever _I_ eat wheat, she sure pays attention! There are recipes for biscuits, made with rice flour and either xantham gum or guar gum, but I haven't tried em yet.

It's a totally beautiful morning.

Willy's recovering from the castration incident. His lil scrotum is beginning to shrivel, poor thing. It must hurt him to be very active. There's no jumping or playing, much. But he's not hanging back. He's not afraid of me anymore. He was even playing butt-my-butt with Nilly last night. I think he needs an athletic supporter. It must be hard, having dying testicles dangling from an elastic band. Ouch!

I'm not sure what chores I'll do today. The chicken yard sure needs a good cleanin and straightenin up. I don't want to get too tired, though, as I'm taking the bus this afternoon to hear the next step in the Big Thing.

Ma rode my electric chopper bicycle to an electric motor repair shop this morning. She'll either walk or take the bus to work from there. It's only about a mile. She's much stronger than I and can ride it there much more easily. It's about 3 miles, all uphill. Woulda killed me.

I can't wait to have my bicycle back! I've felt so disabled, not being able to get around independently. That bike was my way to go when and where the busses don't. I could FINALLY make plans to go out at night! I miss that.

If the Big Thing happens, I'm DEFINATELY taking that bike, even though it weighs 80 lbs. and will cost a chunk to ship. I'm also starting to work on the fuel lines of my gasoline-powered, 2-stroke motor scooter. It can haul more weight than the electric bike can, so is better for grocery shopping. I'd ship it, too. The seat comes off and the handlebars collapse, so it doesn't take much space to ship. It only weighs 45 lbs. It'll be very nice to have it running again, too. But the fuel line problem MUST be fixed. The old tubing finally started to rot, between sun exposure, vibration and gasoline. Won't take long to fix it. 'course, now the carb's all out of adjustment, too and that'll take some work. sigh.

Trash has come and gone, taking a whole laundry basket of worn-out clothing with it. Couldn't be recycled any more. I found almost all of it used, anyway. I kept it out of the land fill as long as I could...

When I go into store, I'm always encouraged by how much I don't buy. I see tons of stuff I don't need, cuz I got it for free or used. I'm a terrible consumer.

I think people shop cuz we're hunters & gatherers; it's in our genes. We feel satisfied, searching for stuff to bring home. I feel the same satisfaction at: thrift stores, yard sales, trash-picking.

And I'm not compulsive, like so many overconsumers are. I'm satisfied with what I have. Bright, shiny objects are just as attractive to me as anybody else, but I'm satisfied with just looking at them.

I'm off to find stuff to do. Have a day.

No comments: