Poverty Is Not an Accident

Poverty Is Not an Accident
Nelson Mandela

Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Finished the Peace Talks transcript

You are reading http://livinginthehood.blogspot.com

You can read it here: http://rriverstoneradio.blogspot.com/2006/04/peace-talks-gandhi.html. It's about Gandhi. Pretty good, I think. I learned a lot.

I always had a gut feeling about the "pencil" story.

What I did learn was: passive violence creates physical violence. I've been on the receiving end of passive violence so often. And I always feel horrible when I finally blow my top and react to it. Usually, the passively-violent person acts like he/she did nothing to provoke me. It's gas lighting: making ME look crazy, so THEY look superior.

I also learned I participate in passive violence, too. I liked the idea about keeping track of the times during the day when I commit passive violence and working to lessen the violence in which I participate, consciously or unconsciously.

It seems a very practical method. I doubt I'll spend 3 hrs. per day, praying and reading "scriptures," though. I'm thinking a little meditation, reflection and reading of various philosophical stuff about nonviolence wouldn't hurt me, though.

Having PTSD, I'm easily threatened and I tend to be reactionary when I feel a threat. I've never been happy about that. I've been in denial about it, though. I KNOW it's not who I am; it's a learned behavior. I resent my mother, in particular, for the damage I've experienced. And there's years of other people who've made it a hobby to victimize me.

I react very similarly to the ways my mother acted; I learned it from her. I try to not be her, but, until and unless I confront how my behaviors are influenced by my upbringing, it'll repeat.

Of course, sometimes, people are passively violent, unconsciously ("I didn't mean to..."). It doesn't matter, of course, whether or NOT they MEANT to, if they cause pain. The trick is not to react, whatever the case.

Well, anyway. It was an interesting discussion, if you want to read it....

Willy's pee is clear! TAH DAH!

No comments: