Poverty Is Not an Accident

Poverty Is Not an Accident
Nelson Mandela

Thursday, December 18, 2003

HAM!!!!!!!!!!

You are reading http://livinginthehood.blogspot.com

Offer your feedback and comments at Rogi's Kitchen Table.

I saw other groceries had ham on sale for $0.79/lb. So, I thought, I'll bet Stadium has it even cheaper.

After a 2 hr. nap to recover from last night's insanity, I left the house this morning at around 8:30 with my cart and Porckchop to walk it. It's about six miles, round trip. The return trip is almost all up hill. ugh.

Sure enough, they had the exact same brand of shank ham for $0.59/lb!!!!!!

I got several pounds of bananas on sale. Cream was two 1/2 pints for a dollar. They had spaghetti and macaroni on sale. And I bought some Sewage Of Imperialism, ie, coca cola, on sale, too.

The minute I walked in the door, one guy shouted, "THERE's our favorite customer!"

Everybody looked at me.

I said, "Buddy, you're the first human being who's spoken to me since I got attacked in the convenience store parking lot at 3am, and the manager flipped me off when I asked for help! You don't know HOW MUCH that means to me!"

Everybody was smiling, the check out girls, the other box boy, the manager, even the customers.

Ah, the ghetto, where people appreciate hard work and honesty! A tight band of anger and frustration that had been compressing my chest all morning just disappeared and I could smile again.

The manager loaned me ten dollars, so I can buy cigarettes and an inner tube. The guy who greeted me "passed the hat" in the stock room and got me three dollars more!

Porkchop and I trash picked the whole way there and back. He's decked in green, velveteen christmas bows. I found more mylar and other, shiny stuff for my cart. I got 2 strings of xmas lights; one is shaped like Santa Claus. All it needed was new fuses.

I found a BIG box fan; it's really dirty and needs a good cleaning, but it works just fine! I found an Oriental rug to replace the one in my kitchen which needs SERIOUS soaking in a trash barrel full of soapy water.

I wash my rugs by laying them out on plastic sheeting in the yard, hosing them down, sprinkling with laundry powder, scrubbing with a push broom, wet-dry vacuuming, hanging to air dry with soapy residue, then hosing the hell out of em to get the soap out, vacuuming, air drying again for about a week. The new rug is much cleaner than the old one, so I'll soak it in discharged washer water for awhile and just hose off and dry. I should have it on the kitchen floor within a month. I'll wash the box fan in old laundry water, too. It'll need vasoline around the motor.

I'm resting from inhaling a slice of ham, soaked in syrup, and THREE fried eggs! I've been eating side dishes, except for the omlette, for three days. It's just not as substantial as protein.

I counted my food stamps wrong; after spending almost twenty dollars today, my balance is still TWENTY EIGHT DOLLARS!!!

YIPPEE!!

Tomorow, I'll go to the Pueblo Cultural Center for a $12.50 carton of cigarettes. I'm too tired today. It took me five hours to get to the store and back today!

Met a nice mother and daughter around Prespyterian Hospital today. Grandma's in the hospital. I told them almost my entire life story in about half an hour. They're going to need someone to care take her, so she won't have to go to a home. She escaped the last one she was in! LOL....they're intersted in hiring me! YIPPEE!!!

I told them my domain name, so they can find my email addy and contact me.

I'm just about ready to take the plastic off that ham, smother it in pineapple, balsamic vinegar, candied ginger, clove, candied orange peel.....it's in my turkey roaster to bake for the afternoon.

While it's baking, I'll shower and wash my hair in the warm house.

I am SOOOOOOO tired and in SOOOO much pain!!!!!!!

But I have lots of eggs now! I found an old, double waffle iron in the trash last month. I removed the electric part and just kept the irons, to set in cast iron skillets, to make waffles. They even have thermometers in the lids!

So, probably tomorrow, I'm going to make a huge batch of home made waffles to freeze. There's nothing better than ham, eggs and waffles for breakfast!

Today kicked my butt, but it was all worth it. I'd do it again tomorrow, if I needed to!

What a joy! HAM!

No comments: