Poverty Is Not an Accident

Poverty Is Not an Accident
Nelson Mandela

Saturday, December 20, 2003

whipped

You are reading http://livinginthehood.blogspot.com

Offer your feedback and comments at Rogi's Kitchen Table.

FIVE loads of laundry, including 4 blankets! Temps. never got much beyond fifty degrees. But it was sunny and calm.

Took me five hours.

But the bed linens are changed. The Oriental rug I found in the garbage is washed, rinsed, and hanging to dry. I cleaned the box fan I found in the trash and greased the spoke with petroleum jelly; it DOES operate, it was just filthy.

I'm in my baby blue, flannel-lined night gown, under the covers, with Miss Thing curled by my knee and Porkchop at my feet.

Just finished a nice lunch of those WONDERFUL pickles, ham, black olives and the BEST macaroni salad I ever made! I'll share the recipe later.

My back, shoulders and legs are SCREAMING in pain.

But the weather report predicted possible snow showers in the next, few days. So today was my big chance to get the laundry done, while it's sunny and dry.

Every stitch of clothing, every sheet, pillow case, blanket, shoe, towel in my house is clean.

As soon as the new rug is dry, I'll roll up the old, dirty one in the kitchen, scrub the floors, and lay the new one in while I soak and clean the old. But that'll take days for the drying, so no hurry.

After about three hours' work, the animals gave up. Even Porkchop wanted to come back in for a nap!

I listened to carols and folk music from the college radio station as I worked. It was very cheerful. Eyed my garden, thinking what to plant in spring.

While everybody else in the bldg. recovers from hangovers --it sounded like a mental hospital out front last night-- I was singing and working and chopping vegetables and playing with cats.

I'm watching the cooking shows on PBS until a comedy movie comes on in about fifteen minutes.

It's "Mexico: One Plate At A Time." He's saying, if people grew their own foods, rather than eating processed, not only would their diets be healthier, but they'd get exercise, too. I'm just grinning!

I just brought in my last, four tomatoes today, the day before Winter Solstice! Parsley's still growing outside, under the leaves my neighbors threw out and I'm using for mulch.

The plants in the green house are healthy and happy. I'm pleased to see two catnip seeds have sprouted and are strong.

I have lettuce, chive, parsley, garlic, onions, cabbages, kolrabi growing in my window sills for winter.

So, while it's hard to walk, my balance is iffy, and my eyes are so tired it's hard to focus, I've had a most satisfying morning.

I'm done for the day, I hope, and plan to spend the afternoon and evening cuddling with my critters, snacking, surfing and watching tv.

Who's crazy?

No comments: