Poverty Is Not an Accident

Poverty Is Not an Accident
Nelson Mandela

Thursday, December 18, 2003

Women are not "liberated"

Offer your feedback and comments at Rogi's Kitchen Table.

You think you're safe, now that you have a credit line and a management job? HAH!

I had a bad dream tonight, brought on, I believe, by the abscess in my bad teeth. I'm running a bad fever, and I can taste the infection.

I did some chores and puttered.

I took out the trash, because this morning's trash day.

I decided to take Porkchop and walk to the convenience store, three blocks from my apartment.

The store is supposed to be open twenty four hours a day. When I got there, the door was locked and there was a hand-written sign which said, "Closed for cleaning; reopen at 3am"

Some college kids pulled up in a sports car. I gestured to my wrist and mouthed, "what time is it?" two thirty.

Then, they started, "hey, baby, you need a good f-ck? c'mon baby, party with us! C'mon you ugly b-tch!"

I was trapped between them and the locked door.

And I'd forgotten my knife.

I looked in my cart. Porckhop's old choke chain was in it. I got it out and brought Porchop up between me and them.

They opened all four car doors and started to get out, "you think you're going to do something with that chain, b-tch?"

I started pounding on the door, with the chain, with my feet, screaming, "HELP ME!"

The night manager came to look.

"LET ME IN!" I screamed, "THEY'RE ATTACKING ME!~ CALL THE POLICE!"

The car sped out of the parking lot, slamming doors as it went. The manager watched it go.

"YOU call the police, b-tch!" the clerk said, pointing at the pay phone on the end of the building.

"I DON'T HAVE ANY CASH! JUST MY ATM CARD!"

He told me to go f-ck myself, flipped the bird at me and said, "you're trespassing, and I'M calling the cops on YOU!"

He wouldn't give me his name so I could report him to the district office. What's worse, a FEMALE employee, around my age, inside the store, wouldn't give me his name or let me in, EITHER!

I seriously believe I was on the verge of being kidnapped and gang raped, if not killed.

And the employees at the store not only wouldn't help me, ONE of them continued the abuse the boys in the car started!

This was a 7/11, in case you're interested.

These weren't crack addicts in the war zone; these were affluent, college kids: Asian, Black, Latino and white. These were YOUR kids!

No comments: