Poverty Is Not an Accident

Poverty Is Not an Accident
Nelson Mandela

Thursday, December 11, 2003

I just ate the world's best pickles!

Offer your feedback and comments at Rogi's Kitchen Table.

You know I rarely mention brand names, and buy generic whenever I can. I'm not getting paid for what I'm about to say, not even in pickles.

Well, Porkchop and I went trash picking this morning. We did pretty well; I'll tell you about it later.

I went to Smith's because they had milk and sodas on sale. They also had a brand of cat cookies my brats actually like, 18 lbs. for six dollars.

Back in the marked-down bin, I saw pickles. There were relishes, and I got 3 jars, cuz I'm always making salad sandwiches.

They had 32 oz jars of plump, pretty, Kosher-style dills.

And they had dill hamburger slices. Normally, I don't buy these; I find them flabby, way too sour, and salty. But these said, "Kosher."

Since the whole dills had a chili pepper in the jar, I thought, "what if?." Well!

Now, I haven't eaten the others, but, when I got home, I cracked open the hamburger slices. I figured, if any of them were going to be awful, these would be they.

I braced my self and licked the pickle. Garlic and onion, followed by just a twinge of chili, mixed well with brine and vinegar. They were PERFECT! An absolute JOY to eat! I stood over the kitchen sink and ate a couple dozen of them! I never eat more than one hamburger slice, with a meal to "dilute" the flavor, not to mention alone!

There are several more jars of them at Smiths, and I'll look for them the next time I go back. They taste like real, Eastern European, Jewish deli pickles, the kind that are preserved in brine and garlic. But they definately have vinegar, although not so much that my mouth hurts.

These are the BEST pickles I've ever not canned myself!

Speaking of which, I'm saving the brine; it'll make GREAT pickled eggs, onions, etc.!

Hunn's Private Stock

No comments: