Poverty Is Not an Accident

Poverty Is Not an Accident
Nelson Mandela

Tuesday, February 08, 2011

to the publisher of a homelessness newsletter

You are reading http://livinginthehood.blogspot.com
Share |

My vision's a little funky and that PDF has everything but the kitchen sink in it. May I impose on you to give me an idea, because I didn't see it, of length of article?

See, I can do news and I can do features, like food, DIY, etc. I can do stuff on Outsider Art, too. If it's ok with you, I'd like not to limit myself to just one genre.

For instance, I got feeling sorry for myself today because I couldn't go to a Chinese restaurant for lunch with them. Here's my blog post on what I did instead:

"Kill self-pity with "Almond Joyfuls" and Asian pork
http://livinginthehood.blogspot.com/2011/02/kill-self-pity-with-almond-joyfuls.html

Now, I can clean that up. Or I can take it several ways.

Poor folk often feel deprived at the quality of life, but I have stuff like powdered ginger that make crappy canned vegetables taste gourmet, for example.

I can talk about how hard it is to ACQUIRE food in a food desert, and how I don't waste ANY, even if it tastes icky, as I mention in this article.

I can talk about how the icky  canned food, etc. may not be as healthy as FRESH, but it's still a darn sight better for you than living on pizza and corn dogs.

I can talk about how I NEVER go down the aisles in grocery stores, where the processed, factory food is, but stay on the perimeter, where the fresh, perishables are: bakery, dairy, deli, produce, butcher -- which is also where things are DISCOUNTED at the "sell-by" date, as perishables actually gasp spoil.

I can talk about the fact that I am just now getting over $100 food stamps per month, which I can actually live on without supplimenting my food bill with actual cash.

Or, I can leave that article pretty much as it is, and just promise you I'll address my philosophical, political and social ideas in future articles on other subjects.

What do you think?

No comments: