Poverty Is Not an Accident

Poverty Is Not an Accident
Nelson Mandela

Sunday, July 04, 2004

I climbed a volcano!

You are reading http://livinginthehood.blogspot.com

Oh, it sounds more impressive than it really is.

I didn't climb an Hawaiian island. I more like climbed a pimple on an Hawaiian island. No, more like: if an Hawaiian island is a breast, I climbed a nipple.

BUT I CLIMBED A VOLCANO YESTERDAY!

...and man, do I feel it, today!

I got so balled up in my teen angst over this woman, I didn't have time to write about the volcano.

We plotted our escape days ago: sunrise picnic, followed by a hike.

I cooked. I made rib eye & sweet corn tacos with cheddar cheese. I made guacamole/salsa with corn. I made deviled eggs with humus and curry. I brought celery sticks and pork rinds, for dipping.

And I made the most ooey, gooey dessert: without sugar!

Lemon curd, basically. But no butter and no sugar.

Lemon Curd:

3 eggs, beaten into the juice and zest of 3 big lemons.

Heat on stove, in metal bowl, floating in saucepan of water. Stir CONSTANTLY!

Add about half a cup of unsweetened apple sauce. Salt & honey to taste.

Cook 'til thick, set aside to cool, stirring occasionally. Mix in 1/2 cup dried fruits & nuts.

Pineapple Glaze:

1/2 large can (apx. 2 c) pineapple juice

Stir about 1/2 c into a few tablespoons of corn starch.

Heat on stove, adding remaining pineapple juice. Stir 'til thick. Remove from heat

Thinly slice 2 bananas into mixture. Add vanilla extract. Let cool.

Place some pineapple sauce in bottom of clear container; freeze. Add layer of lemon curd; freeze. Repeat until container is full.

Top with banana chips and Mandarin orange sections.

It's a cross between gelato and sherbert.

It's tart and sweet, mellow and bright, all at the same time.

And here's the best part: you can eat as much of it as you want! It's all fruit!

It'd make great pastry filling, too. And the pineapple glaze would be wonderful on: ham, chicken, turkey, pork....

So, I climbed a volcano yesterday.

No comments: