Poverty Is Not an Accident

Poverty Is Not an Accident
Nelson Mandela

Friday, September 19, 2003

Beans And Bombers

Students in this country can get a little public assistance while in college. Others resent this, especially if they chose not to take the assistance, and were employed, instead. A single mom takes the assistance, so she can get out of school more quickly and start earning money. She also does it so her kids aren't in daycare 10 hours a day. A person who was childless in school complains that tax payers had no choice but to pay for this single mom's choice of self imposed poverty while studying.

My reply:

"I don't think that the issue is about your choice of whether or not to work. The issue is that they might not like the fact that they do not get to choose whether or not to support you. You decide not to work and they are in turn forced to pay you money. It's a bit vexing."

Well, if these vexed people want to live in a country without roads, bridges, sewage, utilities, national defense, public libraries and other facilities, they can move!

Our taxes are supposed to pay for the benefit of society. I'd say educating our young people for skilled jobs is a SORELY needed use of these common funds!

Funny, people can whine about how hard they work to pay taxes on a measly amount of food stamps that runs out after 3 weeks of each month. But they're stone silent and acquiesce to CORPORATE welfare!

$87 BILLION more is going to get dumped in Iraq, after the $150± already dumped there. So the "cronies" of this admin. can make money.

But everybody has to attack ME for receiving less than $3 per day in food stamps! I EARNED that money, scrubbing toilets, wiping old people's butts, RUNNING down factory assembly lines 10 hours per day without benefits!

People who get assistance while attending school will MORE than pay that all back to society, not only in taxes, but in skills and services to the community!

While the rednecks count BEANS, the cronies of the government are walking away with the WAREHOUSE!
*****************
Someone suggests that, if students can choose not to work while going to school (the student in question is a single mother of 2 small children; she DOES work, just not for pay!), then people could go onto welfare to take a vacation, write a book, etc.

My reply:

Cindy said, "I'm getting welfare because: I need a vacation, I'm starting my own business, I'm writing a book, etc."

Depending in which state one lives, a person can't own a car valued at over $1,000 dollars (not exactly reliable transportation). No: Savings, stocks, bonds, real estate, pensions, life insurance policies, personal property valued at over $2,000, etc.

A person can't have more than $2,000 savings to continue receiving Social Security Disability, nor earn more than about $600/month before the check gets deductions.

I don't qualify for state or federal medical insurance which would cover: doctors' visits, perscriptions, glasses, dental. This is because I actually WORKED for a living, and my Soc. Security Disability Insurance is based on that. I "earn" $23/month too much to qualify! That's about a tank of gasoline, for an economy car. So, I'm disabled, and can't get medical care! Yet, I must pay $50/month into MediCare, just in case of emergency hospitalization. That's about 1/10th of my income.

Now, if I'd stuck a needle in my arm, or a bottle down my throat, I'd get SSI: Social Security Insurance. It was originally designed to help the indigent during the Great Depression.

Many professional bums live on SSI. THEY get FULL medical benefits, because the amount is just below the threshhold. They also get lots of food stamps. They qualify for housing authority, subsidized housing. They get commodities foods.

They spend the checks on drugs & booze, live on the streets, eat and go to doctors for free.

In order for someone to "take a vacation" on welfare, they'd have to give up any and everything they owned.

When my mom had a massive stroke, she sold off my entire inheritance to pay for her convelescent care before the state would qualify her for medical insurance payments!
**********************
The "professional bums" get into rehab. programs or homeless shelters which have doctors certify that they are addicts.

For SSI, all you need is to be poor enough, and "unable to work," as stated by a doctor.

SSI is for those who haven't worked. SSDI is for those who have.

SSI: Who Qualifies http://www.gatewaylegal.org/whoqualifies.htm

Thus, as I said, if I'd stuck a needle in my arm or a bottle down my throat, it would be Christmas all year!

I'm sorry; I HATE addicts. I hate their selfishness, their self obsession, their abuse, their neglect, their irresponsibility, the damage they cause, how dangerous they are..... I have no pity on addicts who don't go through rehab, 12 step programs, etc.

No comments: