Poverty Is Not an Accident

Poverty Is Not an Accident
Nelson Mandela

Sunday, September 07, 2003

Lyman T Johnson

I have to remember the people I've met.

People in the 'hood have often accused me of thinking I'm better than they.

I'm not better; I'm just fortunate.

I was watching one of my old video tapes, recorded in Louisville, KY. It was a late night movie. I preset the VCR and slept. So, the movie is recorded with commercials. This was recorded during Black History Month.

During one of the commercial breaks, there was a short public service announcement to commemorate Black History Month. I saw a brief bio and interview with Mr. Johnson.

My life isn't easy. It could be more comfortable, less frightening. When I'm not homeless, I'm worried about becoming homeless, for instance.

But I am not, nor can I ever comprehend the difficulties of being, in the shoes Mr. Johnson walked.

This was a brave, focussed, gallant man. He was truly TRULY a hero.

I'm very grateful that I met Mr. Johnson, and other heros. Most of them I've met in Kentucky, some in California, a few here. The latter is, no doubt, more my fault for giving up on connecting. I know there are heros here. It is my duty to find them.

Here is Lyman T Johnson. I believe everyone should meet him.

His book: Rest of the Dream: The Black Odyssey of Lyman Johnson.

No comments: