Poverty Is Not an Accident

Poverty Is Not an Accident
Nelson Mandela

Thursday, September 18, 2003

Pork Chop, My Vicious Pit Bull

I have a pit bull, brindle. He was bred to b a fighting dog, but was no good at it, so they made him "bait."

Someone rescued him, but left him in an open yard with no house. Infrequent water, little food, and that was mostly spaghetti and frijoles, 'tho I expect that's all that family had, too.

One day, a crack head jumped the family's wall & ran across their yard. Porkchop didn't even bark. He just watched.

He didn't know he was supposed to protect that family; he was out there alone all the time! He didn't know he was PART of the family!

So, they turned him loose in the streets in winter, in a 4-day freezing rain.

Porkchop chased: dogs, cars, bicycles, children, adults, motorcycles, police cars, me and my cats.

At night, he'd curl in front of the gate, soaking wet and shivering, trying to reenter their yard. They'd kick him whenever they went in or out.

After 4 days, I finally had enough of being chased, growled at and snapped at and my cats were nearly hysterical.

I said, "come here, you son of a bitch!"

He came right to me. I put him on a leash and brought him inside.

All the cats stayed outside for days. That's except for Miss Thing, who'd just had a litter of 3 kittens in the bottom drawer of the dresser just inside my bedroom door.

When I went to bed that night, Porkchop followed me and slept in the bed.

But he made the mistake of sticking his nose in that drawer, just to smell the kittens. His tale was wagging and he was smiling; he wasn't going to hurt them.

But Miss Thing saw him from across the apartment, and in a flash, she had all 20 claws in his head, and rode him around the house!

Porkchop has never chased ANY of my six cats again! He is actually a Professional Cat Butt Licker.

He's been my dog ever since.

No comments: