Poverty Is Not an Accident

Poverty Is Not an Accident
Nelson Mandela

Thursday, September 04, 2003

My Movies

Oh, the Universe has finally taken pity on me! I went trash picking this morning, on my way to buy dog & cat food. It was looking like a bust. I did find good shelving for my living window, for my plants this winter. Even found shelf brackets.

I take different streets to and from the store, so I have more trash to pick.

Porkchop and I were almost home when I found it: a VCR! I almost left it. But, on second check, I realized it was a recent model, in perfect cosmetic condition. I looked at the house and the other trash. These people were affluent. I bet they'd gotten a DVD player and tossed the VCR.

I got it home and found I can control everything from a set of buttons, hidden behind a little panel.

Plugged it in to the TV. I'm watching "Broadcast News:" one of my favorite movies of all time. My favorite part is on, right now. I'll quote it in a minute.

For over five years, I haven't been able to watch my movies. No cable, of course, cuz I think my webtv bill is more important, and sacrifice just to pay that every month.

Little Women! Glory! Nell! Fried Green Tomatoes! Corina! Mind Walk!

I've dragged these poor beat up tapes with me everywhere I've gone, hoping for a functioning VCR.

I have another vcr. But it eats tapes. I only use it as the thing to connect my webtv to its tv monitor.

I'm going to find that quote!

Here's the script to "Broadcast News:" http://blake.prohosting.com/awsm/script/broadc_news.html.

"ON AUDIENCE"

Sitting in groups of three -- NEWS TEAM from around the country, remarkably similar in comparison...a great looking woman, good looking man (either young or attractively avuncular) and a Black or Hispanic. They still APPLAUD -- not yet having grasped the sincerity of Jane's plea which she presses with more urgency.

[this part was editted out of final movie]
JANE
Please. Don't!!
(she yells)
I gathered these pieces as an example of what's WRONG with local television news.

The applause stops.

JANE
The excerpts from THREE SEPARATE SERIES on prostitution were SIMULTANEOUSLY broadcast by all stations in one city during sweeps week. By what bend of either or suspension of duty is that broadcast news?

[resuming movie]
She pauses half a beat for possible applause -- hearing none, she continues. An anchorman sneezes -- four people shout "gesundheit" simultaneously -- they laugh.

[edited out]
JANE
The legacy of Edward R. Murrow, Eric Sevareid, William Shirer, David Brinkley and Walter Cronkite is being squandered in a desperate popularity contest.
[resume]

Our profession is in danger:

TRACKING SHOT
As Jane continues, REVEALING that the news team now have even more in common. They do not like Jane.

[editted]
JANE
Yesterday's compliment has somehow managed to become today's kiss of death. To be considered a serious journalist is no longer flattering. It presents the risk of being labeled ponderous, or worse yet, elitest, right?

[resumes]

SHOT CONTINUES
Women playing with their hair, young man bored...one middle-aged anchorman fusses with a spot on his tie...

ON JANE
Briefly departing from text.
JANE
All of you know what I'm talking about.
We're all trying to act together than we are. But we care. So, we're all secretly terrified, aren't we?
Not a peep -- she is thrown but doggedly presses on with her prepared speech though her throat constricts a bit, her voice begins to rasp.
JANE
We are being increasingly influenced by the star system. The network anchormen are so powerful they compromise our last best hope. The current group is clearly qualified, tied still to our best traditions, but who follows these men?
TRACKING SHOT MOVES TO TOM GRUNICK
Seated with other members of his news team, a young blonde woman whose hand is resting on his inner leg, a good looking Hispanic. Tom feels a growing excitement -- Jane is not just a speaker, she seems a savior.
TOM
Wow.
His female colleague looks at him.
FEMALE COLLEAGUE
Oh, I've known so many women like that. They don't like their looks so they're angry.
BACK TO JANE
Fumbling with her cards, sunk but game -- gamer than she would wish.
JANE
I was going to talk about other trends but...
(mumbling)
...the magazine shows, news at profit, [here's the part I love. they added "the historical"]influence of Entertainment Tonight, the danger, the hope, the dream, the question...Oh, I was going to show you a tape -- a story that was carried by all networks on the same night -- the same night -- not one network noted a major policy change in Salt Two nuclear disarmament talks... Here's what they ran instead...Go ahead. Show the tape.
ON MONITORS
Showing the Japanese Domino Championships as broadcast by all networks in the Spring of 1985. It is quite spectacular -- the dominoes falling into one another provoking waves, crossing tiny bridges, setting off little fireworks. JANE'S AUDIENCE applauds loudly and squeals with delight.
ON SCENE
Jane between the two monitors. She begins to speak loudly OVER the AUDIENCE NOISES of approval.
JANE
(loudly)
I know it's good film. I know it's fun. I like fun. It's just not news.
(as they continue
to applaud)
Well, you're lucky you love it -- you're going to get a lot more just like it.
STRAY VOICE - SHOUT "GOOD"
OTHER ANGLE
Jane sitting rocked into momentary catatonia, by the event. Dazed as an animal stung by a tranquilizer dart. She takes some irregular breaths waiting for normal life to return."

This movie came out in the '80s. I thought broadcasting was bad then. This scene was prophetic.

Wanna hear a "guilty pleasure" sound file from the movie? Go to my Site Map page and wait for the sound file to load. It's me...it's really me. shhh...that's a secret.

Another favorite quote:

AARON
I know you care about him. I've never seen you like this about
anyone, so please don't take it
wrong when I tell you that I believe that Tom, while a very nice guy, is
the Devil.

JANE
(quickly)
This isn't friendship.

AARON
What do you think the Devil is going to look like if he's around? Nobody is going to be taken in if he has a
long, red, pointy tail. No. I'm semi-serious here. He will look attractive and he will be nice and helpful and he will get a job where he influences a great God-fearing nation and he will never do an evil thing...he will just bit by little bit lower standards where they are important. Just coax along flash over substance... Just a tiny bit. And he will talk about all of us really being salesmen.
(seeing he's not
reaching her)
And he'll get all the great`women.

No comments: