Poverty Is Not an Accident

Poverty Is Not an Accident
Nelson Mandela

Tuesday, November 18, 2003

Bunk Bed

Offer your feedback and comments at Rogi's Kitchen Table.

This is sort of what my bed looks like: here -- I got it from a dumpster, years ago.

I don't use the top bunk frame as shown. Instead, it's bolted, vertically, to the tall side of the bed, down the wall, for stability.

Instead, I have a sheed of plywood set lenghtwize over the top head- and foot-tubes. On that, and on a particle board shelf above that, I have suitcases of blankets, mattress pads, sewing yardage, etc.

Sunday, I found another large, canvas suitcase. It's on wheels and has a pull-out handle to pull the suitcase through air ports.

That meant I finally have enough suitcases to put all my linens in.

So, I took all the suitcases down and arranged their contents by type. I painted a note of their contents on each suitcase.

Then, I lifted each of those heavy suitcases over my head and placed them on the shelves. Each suitcase has some packets of fabric softener sheets in it to keep the contents from smelling stale.

I organized and moved six large suitcases. It took three hours.

You will notice smaller bars at the head and foot. I strung a long rope, front to back. At the foot, I hung two 20-oz. plastic bottles of water. At the head, I attached a jump rope, with wooden handles. To each handle, I tied a bandana which hangs in a loop.

I pull on the jump rope to lift the bottles. I use the wooden handles when exercising my arms. For my legs, I loop the bandanas around the arches of my feet.

After all the suitcase lifting, I exercised a lot yesterday, to warm my muscles.

I also found an exercise toy in the dumpster. It's a wheel, about six inches round, with handles on either side of the spoke. The wheel's attached to a bungee style cord, which is attached to a knee rest. I kneel on the rest, grab the handles of the wheel, roll out and back. I think it's supposed to exercise the abdominal muscles, but I'm afraid to push the wheel out too far yet; what if the bungee cord snaps or I fall? SO, mostly, I'm exercising my upper thighs and my arms. I did about ten reps.

Today, I can barely move.

I'll do some more exercises today, to work out kinks.

I'll have to do this every day. I don't mind. It's not difficult, really.

Bad weather means I don't get much natural exercise in the winter. So this will help. Usually, by the first gardening days of spring, I'm too stiff and out of shape to do much. This should help.

Just did too much yesterday.

So, I'll take it easy and do stretches, etc. to work out the major kinks, cuz I need to buy TURKEY tomorrow! oh boy!

No comments: