Poverty Is Not an Accident

Poverty Is Not an Accident
Nelson Mandela

Tuesday, November 11, 2003

How I Use My Scooter

Offer your feedback and comments at Rogi's Kitchen Table.

The scooter's so small and relatively powerless, it's categorized as a bicycle.

I can ride it on the sidewalk, but I avoid that whenever possible. It's actually bad manners to ride a bike on the sidewalk, too. Besides, with the trailer on the back, it's pretty wide.

I stay in the street, wherever possible. I stay off busy streets, riding through subdivisions and on access roads (like beside train tracks, industrial areas, etc.).

When I must use a busier street, I use bicycle lanes, when possible or I ride facing oncoming traffic. I get off busy streets within a block or so.

I do not imagine my scooter as a miniature car. I imagine it as a prosthetic device which enhances walking.

I rarely run it at full throttle, and then usually going up hill. With the dog food in the trailer, I had to get off and walk beside it, holding the throttle on full speed, to make it. But that's still a lot easier than pushing groceries up hill in a stroller!

I assume I'm invisible...which is the major reason for all the colorful, shiny stuff. I assume all other vehicles on the road will behave in either an indiffernt or hostile manner.

I have: wrist guards and knee and shoulder guards. I think these must have belonged to a skateboarder. I found them, all together, in an mesh bag, in the garbage.

I usually drive at Porkchop's trotting or walking speed, even if Pork isn't with me.

To blow it out, I will run it full throttle in empty parking lots. I just zip up and down the length of the lot for a few laps. Keeps the carburator blown out and keeps the gas lines flowing well.

I'm still fiddling with the air/fuel mix. Living at five thousand feet above sea level, in autumn when air temps. change frequently, is a challenge. Cold air is literally thicker: more air molecules in the same space as warm air. On warm days, it's easier to run than on cold days, unless I adjust the mix.

It's very strong, but easy to operate.

I changed the inner tubes on the wheels of the trailer the other day. Having inflated tires, of course, means it rides even better now.

I ride standing up, whenever possible. This puts my field of vision slightly higher than the average passenger car driver. I only sit when slowing, turning, or negotiating problematic road surfaces.

I've had no problem encounters with police yet. But, then, I avoid police, as well as dangerous traffic, by staying on smaller roads, bike paths, etc.

It sure makes my life a lot easier! I can drag home a grocery cart full of stuff in the trailer with no perceptible disadvantage..except on hills, of course!

No comments: