Poverty Is Not an Accident

Poverty Is Not an Accident
Nelson Mandela

Monday, November 03, 2003

Slumlords

I'm getting ready to do battle with the landlord, who REFUSES to repair my air conditioner, heater, electrical wiring and put a bannister on the stairs so I can use tem.

I'm scared to death. When you've been homeless a few times, you have an automatic reaction to the threat of eviction.

I surfed landlord tenant law this morning and was shaking so badly, I could barely type.

I actually went into the bathroom to throw up!

I have to do this, but I'm really scared.

As soon as they open in an hour, I'm calling the landlord tenant hotline for some advice.

The rent was due last Friday. I get my check on the 3rd, which is today, and never mail out my rent before the money's really in the bank. I gave myself the weekend to think about it.

What I think is: my rent on a one bdrm. garage conversion is as much as a house payment, if I had credit. I pick trash to pay rent. I make arts and crafts to pay rent. I go without to pay rent. I grow my own food to pay rent.

I deserve a heater without melted wires, that goes on when the temperatures reach eighty degrees farenheit. I deserve an air conditioner that doesn't catch fire when I turn it on. I deserve electricity that doesn't just suddenly go out without reason, and takes three days to have someone flip my circuit breaker. I deserve to use the front stairs, without the threat of breaking my neck.

I'm, of course, afraid of alienating the landlord. I'm already harrassed by the alcoholic, drug-addicted tenants. I can't afford to make enemies.

But I've waited over two months for some repairs, and seven months for the bannister and to have my electricity repaired.

I have to do this, scared or not.

Wish me luck.

No comments: