Poverty Is Not an Accident

Poverty Is Not an Accident
Nelson Mandela

Thursday, November 27, 2003

Thanksgiving Breakfast

Offer your feedback and comments at Rogi's Kitchen Table.

Well, I've been feeling rather low, since my scooter tire popped and I couldn't buy another turkey yesterday. Feeling trapped and deprived, as I've only a dab of turkey left, and a frozen package of grey hamburger meat marked, "dog food."

So, I decided to make myself a cheerful, if decadent, breakfast of that French toast with cream.

I started the sausage frying.

I beat the eggs, whipped in some cream and some vanilla.

I'm out of bread! All that's left is a flimsy heal and a slice that's squished. Well, French toast was designed to use up stale bread, but THIS was DEPRESSING! Besides, I'd mixed enough egg and cream for three slices!

So, I added flour and milk to the eggs.

I made five vanilla crepes, fried in butter, in a cast iron skillet.

As I flipped each, I barely dotted it with butter, cream cheese and either blackbery jelly or orange marmelade. I rolled each in the pan and laid it on a dinner plate.

As I worked, I turned and saw four, brown bananas on my kitchen table. They weren't creepy brown. They were just really speckled and screaming, "This is IT! We're RIPE, already!"

When the crepes were done, I lowered the temp. so I could melt butter without burnig it. I sliced all four bananas into the skillet and flipped them once.

I've seen Bananas Foster made, once, but don't really remember how. Something about cognac. Yeah, right. Set on fire.

I have a bottle of fake Amaretto I got about six years ago. I dribbled just a TAD in the bananas; I don't want to overwhelm the banana flavor with the almond. And the amaretto is very sweet, as are the bananas.

So, to flame it, I tossed in a jigger of bourbon, tilted the pan and fwoop! Bananas flambe!

After the flames went down, I folded in oh, maybe an ounce or less of cream. I was gentle, so I wouldn't smash the nanners.

I spooned some of my Bananas Riverstone over the crepes, like gravy. Sprinkled with cinnamon sugar. Two sausage patties.

The rest of the banana will be eaten later.

I can't describe the joy of each mouthful! Each crepe is a different flavor, and a delight to discover under the thick, creamy Bananas Riverstone. The crepes are light and spongey. The cream cheese adds some much-needed sour to the sweet.

It took me fifteen minutes to make, and that's only because I was washing dishes as the crepes and sausage fried!~

Deprived? With THIS mind? Impossible!

No comments: