Poverty Is Not an Accident

Poverty Is Not an Accident
Nelson Mandela

Monday, November 03, 2003

Rental Noncompliance

I asked for a bannister on the stairs when I signed the lease, eight months ago.

My air conditioner caught fire two months ago.

My heater wires are melted, and the heat was going on at 80 degrees farenheit.

My electricity goes out without warning. I have been reporting this since I signed the lease.

Tenants are criminals who harrass me.

Here's a copy of LAST month's letter to the property mgmt. company:

From: (Rogi Riverstone)
Date: Wed, Oct 1, 2003, 12:29pm (MST+1)
To: self, to print out to property mgr.
Subject: property address

1) I still have no heater.

2) I still have no air conditioner.

3) Electrical problems persist.

4) Raoul Nieto's "friend," Joe (who formerly rented apt. D here) unplugged electric cords I'd placed while power was out. He doesn't pay my rent; he doesn't even LIVE here! My refrigerator was warm when I returned from church; my internet (one source of my income) was messed up; my VCR was broken from it.

5) Raoul Nieto DELIBERATELY cranked up his music while I was sitting in my yard, occupied with a long distance business call. I went out there because I couldn't find an ashtray within reach of my phone. My business contact commented on the noise, thinking it was my fault. Of course, Raoul turned it back down the minute he couldn't hear me anymore, so there was no way or point to call police.

6) I've waited 7 months for a banister on the front steps.

7) The woman in Apt. C stands directly outside my kitchen window, SCREAMING "turn the music down!" to Raoul: her only "joke," a way to harrass and belittle me.

This is my notice of noncompliance. I need these repairs. I will withhold next month's rent if they aren't completed soon.

I will be telephoned or contacted by US Postal Service to make appointments for these repairs.

I have multiple sclerosis; I can't tolerate extremes of heat or cold.
And I'm tired of people in this building discriminating against me for my disabilities!

Rogi Riverstone

No comments: