Poverty Is Not an Accident

Poverty Is Not an Accident
Nelson Mandela

Saturday, November 08, 2003

Preparing For Food

man, a week's worth of hard labor caught up yesterday afternoon.

I went to take an hour nap, and woke five hours later. I stayed up a few hours, but went right back to sleep. I woke at eight this morning, having slept twelve hours. I could still sleep.

But, I got the scooter ready yesterday to make a grocery run today, the first day of my food stamps. Filled the gas, checked air in the tires, etc.

Things are beginning to discount for the holiday season. It's a little early yet, but baking supplies are already much cheaper. Soon, turkeys and hams will be cheap.

The refrigerator's defrosted and cleaned. The kitchen's clean and ready to process whatever I bring home.

My foodstamps were reduced 1/3 this month, without warning or explaination. I've gone from $90/month to $60. Last summer's droughts were a good excuse to raise food prices. So I'll have to be very careful.

But, for almost two years, I lived on $28/mo. food stamps, and did rather well. I seldom paid cash for foods. Of course, I had easier access to food pantries then.

I'll make it, but it's going to be a challenge.

No comments: