Poverty Is Not an Accident

Poverty Is Not an Accident
Nelson Mandela

Saturday, January 24, 2004

duck pond

You are reading http://livinginthehood.blogspot.com

Offer your feedback and comments at Rogi's Kitchen Table.

Well, it was a nice walk. Porky and I looked in the dumpsters of restaurants along Central and I found about twenty lbs. of chopped lettuce behind Wendy's. It was just fine. A little water logged...probably melted ice.

When we got to the pond, I threw some in the water and scattered the rest on the bank.

Big, fat fish and ducks swarmed to eat.

People throw their pet goldfish in the pond. I saw one dang near 3 feet long! There's a black, Japanese style gold fish about a foot long. Sure would like to catch him! I don't know if any of the fish are actual koi; water's too murky to see very well.

There are schools of minnows, too.

I don't know why Porky and I haven't been going to the pond. It's really not too far from my house: maybe ten blocks?

There's a lot of stuff at the university I should be seeing: museums, etc.

Heck, I'm only about half a mile or so from a university! I might as well enjoy it.

I'm drinking my water; got 3 large glasses down, so far, plus whatever I drank from my bottle at the pond. pee a lot anyway, so this is a real challenge. I don't dare go to the duck pond tomorrow; it'll be too hard to find a bathroom, once I get there. With about 16 oz. of coffee and 30 oz. of water in me, I almost didn't make it to the bathroom at the Humanities Bldg. today!

I've only eaten 2 small sandwiches today and a small piece of chocolate.

4 pieces of chocolate, I've learned, are 100 calories, but they're 33% of daily fat. I found that putting a bit of chocolate on my tongue while sipping coffee is fabulous! LOL.

I don't feel a bit hungry or deprived. In fact, by drinking a big glass of water with a small sandwich, I feel pretty stuffed and waddly after eating.

I'm wondering if drinking more water will help with the pain I feel from walking. While tired from our trip, I don't feel a need to rest for long. I'm sure it won't hurt. There's an acid which muscles secrete during exercise; it causes pain. I'm pretty sure hydration minimizes the effects. And it CERTAINLY can't be bad for my joints and connective tissues, the areas in which I experience most of the pain.

We left the duck pond when too many people started showing up. Although he was on leash, Porky's leash wasn't connected to anything. It weighs him down and slows him. He continues to obey commands, as long as I'm on the alert for dogs and other things he might attack. It was nice to let him have some freedom as we walked. He never went very far from me.

On the way home, I found a great treat: a shocking-pink wig. It's got crimped hair that's over shoulder length. I have no idea what I'll do with it, but it's so funny! I washed it and it's hanging in the shower to dry.

I have a few, light chores to do today, but I'm taking it kinda easy.

I have to return to the clinic for some blood tests, early Monday morning and, if it's not too cold, windy or rainy, I'll walk. It's about six miles, round trip. I think. Maybe only four. But the return trip is almost all up hill.

Although I took the bus there yesterday, I did walk home. It'll poop ya out, believe me!

Well, gotta pee! L8terz! LOL
===========
well, I found my problem. It's the soda pops!

I looked up calories per day on this thing http://walking.about.com/library/walk/blcalcalc.htm. I used my real weight and calculated. Then, I used my "ideal" weight and calculated.

The difference in calories is, guess what? Four sodas per day. Guess how many sodas I've been drinking per day (approx.)? Yep. SIX HUNDRED FORTY calories in sodas, per day, on average!

And I know why, too: appetite suppressant. Plain and simple. Explains the cigarettes, too. I only have $2 food stamps/day. If I spend about fifty cents of that on generic soda pop (about twelve cents/can), I won't notice I'm hungry! I'll betcha! DANG!

I haven't had a soda yet today; haven't felt the craving, cuz I'm full of water. I was drinking a soda with lunch and dinner, one for mid day snack and one at night.

I've been self-medicating, so I wouldn't eat too much! That makes me angry and sad all at the same time!

My poor, poor body!

No comments: