Poverty Is Not an Accident

Poverty Is Not an Accident
Nelson Mandela

Friday, January 30, 2004

no diabetes!

You are reading http://livinginthehood.blogspot.com

What a relief! Yes, I pee a lot. Yes, I get dizzy when I eat. Yes, I'm fat. But I haven't acquired type 2 diabetes....yet!!!

But I'm playin' with fire, hunny!

Y'know, I've dropped FOUR POUNDS this past week, just from knockin the soda pops off my diet? Dang!

So, the BAD news, of course, is that I eat like a poor person, or like a sedentary American fast food junky. I don't eat fried stuff much...very rarely. But I have bad cholesterol, from too much animal protein and too little fiber.

My nurse practitioner wants me to eat fish every day! Christ! Fish is like four dollars/lb on SALE!

But then, I remembered Polar tuna. I'll never buy any other brand of canned tuna again! Packed in water, big flaky chunks...fresh tasting. And it goes on sale frequently for twenty nine cents/can. So, I usually have a whole case or part thereof around the house.

I do NOT need to eat a whole can of tuna every day! And it would drive my cats crazy, anyway. But I can eat a fork full, three times a day, before regular meals.

Same with oatmeal. I don't need to eat a whole bowl full at a time. Just eat a few bites before a regular meal!

And I've GOT to score more fruits, vegies! It's always an issue in winter, when the garden's dead.

I looked at the USDA food pyramid. I'm sure 6-11 servings of carbs/day must be wrong, with only 4-8 or so fruits/vegies. If I reverse the amounts, I should b ok.

I can eat rice. Don't mind a bit. But trying to imagine eating eleven slices of bread every day made me turn a bit green!

I'm hunting for HDL foods. There's so MUCH GARBAGE on the 'net! But, in addition to more fishies, I can certainly eat more beans and stuff.

Basically, I have to eat more of an indigenous diet than industrial. It's pretty simple. And common sense.

My sore teeth make me a bit lazy about raw foods. It's easier to chew a soft chicken sandwich than a salad!

BUt I have my food processor; I can grate carrots, for instance, for sandwiches...

I'll figure it out. I'm certainly not stupid.

I can throw in some soy, too. I like tofu and stuff. Soy milk sounds disgusting, though... But just plain ol' soy beans would b ok, and they're cheap.

I've either gotta start eatin like I'm a Mexican from Veracruz (doesn't that sound wonderful??? fresh fish, fresh fruits....rice, beans...) or like I'm Japanese (that ain't exactly a hardship for me, either! LOL).

Or move to Mexico...which is tempting....but they don't have webtv...never mind.

I sort of lost interest in cooking, after my baby died and I lost my home. There's nobody to cook for, for one thing. For another thing, I'm very far from any food pantries here. I don't know where to get free food easily anymore. So, I'm afraid to spend money on anything but protein, sugar and carbs! Vegies and fruit are about a buck a pound. I'm afraid of feeling hungry.

Well, I'll figure it out. Maybe I can get leftovers from the food coop, although that's very far away from my house. I wish Smith's marked down wilty stuff...they throw it OUT!!! jerks.

Project Share is very far from my house. And they serve meals, not grocery sacks, apparantly. And you KNOW how badly I want to sit and eat a meal with homeless people! moan....talk about a psyche out!

I WILL figure this OUT, dammit!

Mean time, I didn't buy either the sale hamburger (which was just bloody lard, when I got a good look at it) nor the sale sodas at Stadium today.

I'm switching to tea. Mix 2 teabags of good stuff with 2 bags of cheap, generic crap (100 bags/$1). Add not-quite-boiling water (about a liter?) and half a teaspoon of sugar. Refrigerate. Warm in microwave as needed, or drink cold.

Tastes lovely. Right now, I've made up darjeeling/generic.

I always mix generic and good stuff, even my coffee, which is 3 parts crap to 1 part fresh-ground beans on sale. My coffee rarely costs me over a dollar fifty a pound this way, but still tastes lovely.

Well, I'm almost bleeding, I'm so tired...It was a LONG day out there!

So, I'm signing off to listen to DemocracyNOW!, heat up a cuppa, and have an Evil Cigarette, my 9th today. I'm gonna b off em within just a few months, at this rate! Usually, by this time of day, especially having had to wait for buses and be around angry people, I'd have smoked twenty cigs by now! Easy!

I'm pretty proud of that!

No comments: