Poverty Is Not an Accident

Poverty Is Not an Accident
Nelson Mandela

Tuesday, January 13, 2004

not a victim

You are reading http://livinginthehood.blogspot.com

Offer your feedback and comments at Rogi's Kitchen Table.

Lord, I'm tired! Walked to my bank. Must've been close to eight miles, round trip. Porky and I took as many alleys as we could, so I could hear my radio over the traffic noise on Central. Did some dumpster diving.

Found an old vacuum cleaner. Took the hoses; I use those to direct washer discharge water into my garden. Took some brackets I need for my vacuum and took the beater bar belt; mine was broken. So, I can vacuum again!

Found a little tea pot for my tea pot collection. Didn't find much more, cuz the trucks picked up the dumpsters yesterday.

But, on the way home, I found a very long split-leaf philodendron I've got cut into segments, in water in a kid's sand pail. And I found a big, wicker hamper with no bottom. I'm always looking for big baskets and stuff to disguise 5 gal. buckets of plant. The drum from my old washer is covered in a straw tomi mat I found a few weeks ago and now looks like a Japanese basket! Found a pine folding table; it needs some minor repairs, but will make a great plant stand in the yard.

Met some nice people out there today, real friendly. Porkchop was wearing his little, Guatamalan back pack, so everybody thought he was cute as hell. Someone had one of those wind sock dummies, with fans in its feet to make it blow, standing on the sidewalk. It was bobbing and weaving and flapping its arms, and Porkchop attacked it. Of course...I don't blame him!

I deposited a check a friend sent.

I'm trying very hard not to spend any money this month. I'm even trying to save my last $30 food stamps. I have four chickens, a roast and a big package of chicken legs in the freezer. Not to mention my half turkey, another beef roast and about half a chicken left in the fridge. I have canned goods and dry goods. I have toilet paper. I have dog food. I have some cat food, even though the bums don't like it..

I know the collection agency can't attach my bank account and that I can get the student loan discharged. In fact, I called the agent this morning and let her know I'd looked up my rights and responsibilities.

The month is nearly half over and I'm ok with money/stamps.

I asked a woman, about half a mile from home, for a cigarette. She said, "sure, for one of the best-dressed women in Albuquerque!"

Turns out, she lives about 2 blocks from me. She has seen me walking down her street with Porkchop and my cart of junk. She said I always dress so nicely! She asked my name and introduced herself. That really made my day.

Lots of people also commented on how well behaved Porkchop was.

I came home to a yard full of happy cats, glad to see me and help me unpack.

My legs are screaming and this damn tooth hurts like the dickens.

So, I'm resting for the rest of the day.

I built a web site for Dr. King's birthday with "Beyond Viet Nam" on it. That was validating! I think it is here: Beyond Viet Nam, but I'm not sure. I'll check the link after I post this.

Just when I think I can't stand it any more, someone like Dr. King reenters my consciousness and I'm healed again.

I watched "Chaos" on PBS last night: a documentary on the EVIL way the Union forced so-called "reconstruction" on white southerners. If anybody's to blame for the Klan, the lynchings, etc., I'd have to say it was the north. They created the climate; they fueled the resentment and frustration of the white south. They sat back and watched. They profitted from the cotton picked by "freedmen," forced into indentured servitude. They sent Black soldiers, to kick Black people off of land given them by the north and then returned to white southerners.

OH MY GOD! AMY GOODMAN IS SPEAKING TO RICHARD PERLE!! RIGHT NOW!!! Gotta stop posting; need to listen. THAT guy's a TOTAL bastard! He's REALLY scary!

oh, before I go, my point re: "Chaos" was this: in 1865, in Louisiana, alone, over 2,000 Blacks were lynched. I was thinking about "Patriots' Day:" the new holiday to commemorate 9/11.

The REAL Patriots' Day ought to commemorate the genocide of the Freedmen.

No comments: