Poverty Is Not an Accident

Poverty Is Not an Accident
Nelson Mandela

Monday, January 19, 2004

Happy MLK Day!

You are reading http://livinginthehood.blogspot.com

Offer your feedback and comments at Rogi's Kitchen Table.

Porkchop and I exhausted ourselves, marching at the MLK march yesterday. The pace was ridiculous! Us old people, lil kids and gimps had a helluva time, keeping up with the able bodied men! What was the damn hurry???

And 2 ppl, driving cars behind me, damn near ran me down twice!

Then, when we got there, all the prayers were about "our lord and saviour, jesus christ," IMMEDIATELY after saying "WE are gathered here in UNITY!" I shouted, NOT ME; I'M AN ATHEIST! I'm really an agnostic, but I didn't think a lot of people would know what that meant! I looked at Jews and Muslims, being spoken for in jesus' name, and just wondered at the arrogance!

Bad, evil Starbucks' provided free coffee. Seems to me, it'd make sense to have a LOCAL coffee company sponsor the event! And Krispy Kream donuts were free; same thing: we have some fabulous, local bakeries! Of COURSE, starbucks and KK would love Black franchizers! Anybody struggling to make it out, become successful, work like a DOG to keep a shop open....sounds a lot like sharecropping to me....

Mayor Chavez lied through his teeth about equality and justice, so I yelled out about the Aggressive Panhandling law!

I'm a great heckler. I make enemies, sure, but I make a lot of friends, too...

So, today Porky and I walked to Smith's with the sign I carried yesterday. It's the top, 5 lines of my MLK "Beyond Viet Nam" web page.

I found a bunch of nice dumpster junk today: pretty blouses, cds, bags, etc. Found a good backpack and jacket that I dropped off in front of the plasma center.

If I wasn't so dang tired, I'd wash up my dumpster finds today. It's beautiful out there. Maybe later this week...we might get snow though, if we're lucky. Dang drought.

I found a big cake box full of cressants at Smith's for about $2. Gave some away to the homeless guys on the way home.

Got another half turkey I'll cook tonite, to keep the house warm.

Some flakey pastry fruit tarts: old favs. from childhood...my favs were the lemon ones, but they hardly ever make those anymore...

taters and onions were on sale.

had me 2 garlic/herb chicken sandwiches for lunch, on 2 crescents. oh, gawd, that was gooooooood!

Ran into Cindy from indimedia.org yesterday. I keep forgetting I can publish there...duh! She wants me to write about King's beyond viet nam and about the panhandling "law."

Basically, the law said, u can't panhandle after dark or before dawn. You can't get within three feet of a mark; you can't touch them...some other stuff I don't remember. Anyway, someone...probably the ACLU....challenged it in court and the judge threw it out. But chavez ain't done with us bums yet; NOW, he's started some commission on ending homelessness. Not one homeless person on the commission, of course, just do gooder social worker types, churches and other idiots who think they're experts.

God save us from experts!

Well, I'm babbling, and I want a cig.

But I wanted to check in. I was just too damn tired, by the time I staggered back in yesterday...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DR. KING!!!

No comments: