Poverty Is Not an Accident

Poverty Is Not an Accident
Nelson Mandela

Tuesday, January 06, 2004

Mac & Cheese

You are reading http://livinginthehood.blogspot.com

Offer your feedback and comments at Rogi's Kitchen Table.

Ah, Stadium Grocery: where they mark down dairy and lots of other stuff when the date comes up!

Got 32 oz. cottage cheese & 16 oz. sour cream the other day for a dime each!

So, today I boiled about 5 cups of macaroni noodles.

In a large bowl, I mixed in:

3 eggs, sour cream, cottage cheese, chicken boullion, a squirt of table mustard, black pepper, and just a sprinkle of curry powder.

In the food processor, I finely chopped about a tablespoon of roasted onion flakes and a quarter cup of cheddar cheese. I mixed them with the cheese mix.

When the noodles were still a little firm to the tooth, I drained them and stirred them onto the cheese mixture.

I sprayed 2 pyrex baking dishes with nonstick spray and poured the mix in.

Baked in a 350 degree Fahrenheit oven for about 40 minutes. Cooled on wire wracks on the counter.

Sometimes, I'll chop a little meat into my mac & cheese. My favorites are ham, any kind of sausage, chicken, bacon and even hamburger.

But today, I made pure mac & cheese.

I made 14 servings for about a dollar!

PS: I'll dab a bit of sour cream on each slice when I serve it, too!

No comments: