Poverty Is Not an Accident

Poverty Is Not an Accident
Nelson Mandela

Tuesday, January 27, 2004

mmmph!

You are reading http://livinginthehood.blogspot.com

Offer your feedback and comments at Rogi's Kitchen Table.

at 7:30am, twenty one degrees out, I trudged my useless and coffee deprived butt down to the bus stop to go to the clinic for blood tests.

I'm being tested for diabetes, among a host of other crap, so I couldn't eat or drink anything but water until the blood was drawn.

You don't want to meet me, early on a cold morning, when I haven't had any coffe and have to walk alot.

I was a grumpy gal.

The guy was from Cuba; his English was funny, but man, can he draw blood! Barely felt it! I was outta der in ten minutes!

JUST missed a bus to go back. It's a 40 minute wait 'til the next one, so I walked into Stadium Grocery, next door. Found jalapeno dip: pure sour cream, yummy, for fifty cents a half pint. Bought 4. They're having hamburger and avacados on sale next week, so I'm gonna b makin tacos! Jalapeno dip will be GREAT on em!

Drove everybody in the grocery crazy, tellin stories and tryin to stay warm for awhile.

You're not gonna believe this, but I'd packed a THERMOS full of coffee, so I could have a cup the second he stopped drawing blood! Straight up! Started drinkin it right in the blood room, kept sippin all the way thru the grocery, and moved on to the bus stop with it!

By the time I got home, my bladder was near bursting.

Sat around awhile, thawing out.

Then I grabbed Porkchop and we took off for the radio station.

Stopped by the Swiss bakery on Harvard, specifically looking for day-old stuff. Got a loaf of wheat bread. They have buy one get one free on Mondays, so I've already told the radio station I'm volunteering on Mondays, instead of Tuesdays from now on!

Nibbled bread across campus. Got there early. Poured me a cup of coffee and came back downstairs to hang with Porkchop and have a last smoke.

Porky has a nice stashing place. A little, blind alcove with juniper bushes, out of the way, out of sight. I just threw his blankie on the ground, under the junipers and said, "go to bed." He likes it. I had him tied to the cart. Nobody even knew they were there.

Finished one of the 2 rolodexes today.

Introduced myself, formally, to Marcos Martinez and some of the news staff.

Slooooowly walked back across campus at 1pm...might have been a bit later; wanted to finish the whole rolodex b4 leaving.

We hung at the duck pond for awhile. There's one, white duck with a red face who I KNOW was somebody's pet. SHe's not a bit scared of people or of Porkchop. Swims right up to him. He's scandalized! He hates water!

I may try to catch that duck and bring her home. I may....could sure use the eggs!

Ducks are good company. Messy, but good company!

Trudged thru the alley south of Central, looking for whatever. Some lady offered me dog food money. I thanked her but turned her down.

OH! I found the wire baskets from a dishwasher today! I need another thing to hang from a toggle hook in the kitchen to hang my gadgets on. This thing's perfect: insulated wire, on a swiveling spindle! I'll hang it some other day though. I've got to go back to the station tomorrow. And Thursday's trash day. I need to save my strength.

Porky and I finally staggered in at about 2:30. Basically, I was rippin and runnin for seven hours in the cold today. I'm totally pooped.

So, blogs and dishes and all kindsa stuff are just gonna have to wait for my tired butt.

Came in and totally raided the fridge: potatoe salad, kosher pickle, chicken breast and two slices of balogna with thin-sliced cheese rolled up in em. Soda pop and a cig! Except for the bread, that was the only thing I've eaten all day.

Five outta six cats are within six feet of me...I think they missed me. Snuffy's in the dresser drawer. Miss Thing's pressed against my right thigh. Mugwart's pressed against the left. Ivan's on the steamer trunk I use as a coffee table/cat bed in here. Osa's in the window seat, staring at birds. Chaco's sleeping in my closet, in a basket of napkins and table cloths. Porkchop's pressed against the soles of my feet, which feels wonderful.

Amy Goodman's on, but I aint got the stomach for more Bush/Iraq crap right now...

My feeties really hurt and so does almost every other body part. My ears and nose are still thawing out. I'm so chilled, I don't know if I'll ever be warm again!

I'm takin a dang NAP!

Run the world without me for awhile, would you?

No comments: