Poverty Is Not an Accident

Poverty Is Not an Accident
Nelson Mandela

Thursday, January 08, 2004

Long day!

You are reading http://livinginthehood.blogspot.com

Offer your feedback and comments at Rogi's Kitchen Table.

Porkchop and I headed out to trash pick this morning at 7am. We found mostly practical and useful stuff. For instance, I found an Oster blender. I wanted a 2nd one for mixing paint and paper mache. This one's better than the one in my kitchen, as it has a pyrex pitcher, so that's taken care of.

I found a couple of decent-looking speakers and an entertainment center thing. The latter has tape-to-tape, CD and radio. It also has jacks for vcr, tv, phono. I'm hoping it'll come in handy if I ever find a turn table for my vinyl. Might also use it some day for stereo webtv. I still have to plug it in and check it all out.

I found a giant water bottle. I have another one, too. They make nice terrarium lamps. Rocks in the bottom, then dirt. Arrange small plants. Dangle a small string of outdoor xmas lights inside. Either place on a table or I do have a bar stool, or hang from macrame hanger.

I found lots of styrophome blocks; people get electronics for xmas. I can cut them into shapes and use for forms for paper mache.

Found a bunch of other nice, useful odds and ends.

Stopped at Smith's for groceries. Waited for the butcher to mark down meat. Got two beef roasts for less than a dollar fifty a pound and two Butterball herb/garlic chickens for about fifty cents a pound.

Washed the chickens and roasted them together with only pepper. One's frozen in a Tupperware thing; the other's in the fridge. Slow-roasted one beef roast with potato slices, worchestershire sauce, roasted garlic, black pepper; it's in the fridge and the other roast's frozen.

Every time I trash pick, I need to adjust things in the house or yard to accomodate, so I've been doing some of that.

Had plenty of dishes to wash. Did 4 loads of laundry yesterday, so had that to put away.

Basically, I've been on my feet for eight straight hours, and I'm really feeling it. So, I guess I spend the rest of the evening in bed with hot cat meat and my msntv.

A satisfying and productive day, all in all. The homeless guy in the alley asked me for a back pack today, which I gave him. Those cheap zippers pop! I have a ripstop nylon, down-filled coat. Great coat; probably worth at least fifty dollars. But the cheap, two dollar zipper has broken! So, I'm looking for a replacement zipper to sew into it, but sewing zippers in is quite a job!

In another month or so, people will begin throwing out their winter clothing; I'll probably find myself a new coat soon.

My house smells heavenly. Everybody got some leftovers today and some giblits and bones, so all the animals are laying around sleeping.

I can't wait to make tacos out of that chicken! And the roast! I have plenty of cheese, sour cream, bell peppers and cilantro.....

I bought about a month's worth of meat today for twelve dollars!

And some discounted xmas chocolate bars for less than two dollars a pound.

Yes, a very satisfying day.

No comments: