Poverty Is Not an Accident

Poverty Is Not an Accident
Nelson Mandela

Saturday, January 10, 2004

so tired, I'm crying

You are reading http://livinginthehood.blogspot.com

Offer your feedback and comments at Rogi's Kitchen Table.

Porky and I left at 7:30 this morning for Smith's. I was almost out of toilet paper.

We took the alleys, north and south of Gold street. I found a TON of stuff! Even Danskin, Hanes and some other name brands of panties, bras and leotards! I found a London Fog coat. I found silk flowers, water glasses, yarn, a huge white teddy bear, a redwoor folding chair, flower pots, a hand-knit wool shawl, an embroidered African hat and a hand-made broom.

But Smith's was the real bonanza. I got 4 Butterball herb and garlic chickens, for two dollars each. I got half a turkey at 59 cents/lb. I got a HUGE bag of day-old rolls and bagels for two dollars. I got a coffee mug with xmas candy for fifty cents. I got half a pound of chocolate for fifty cents. And some new brand of toilet paper: 400 sheet rolls, twelve for four dollars!

At the Dollar Store, I got some fastenings, a decoration, a wreath hanger and a Santa hat: all 75 percent off; came to less than two dollars.

Met some nice homeless guys who told me Project Share sometimes gives away cat and dog food. Good to know.

Right now, everybody's eating leftover ham and chicken trimmings. I'd just bought 2 of those chickens on th 8th. I had to debone them so they'd fit in a Tupperware thing. I need the freezer space for the 4 chickens I froze.

The turkey's in the oven right now.

See, xmas is over and the butcher told me he's got tons of old turkeys. So, he saws them in half, marks them at fifty nine cents a pound, wraps them in plastic, and hopes people will buy them!

He's also over run with beef! People aren't buying it! He had tons of porterhouse steaks, roasts and all kinds of good stuff marked down. But it was still three and four dollars a pound, so I didn't buy any.

I have more food than the cats, dog and I can possibly eat in a month! And still have about twenty dollars' food stamps left!

I did four more loads of laundry yesterday: cleaning towels, animal blankets, and other stuff.

SO, I'm just about as tired as a person can be.

I got done about two thirty. That's seven hours of walking, cooking, folding laundry, cleaning picked trash, sorting, etc.

I hurt so bad, I can't even describe it.

But the food's in. The house is clean. Everything's either cooked or frozen. THe laundry's done.

I can spend most of the rest of the month trying to earn some money.

No comments: